Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'll be going back to college in September to study an access to humanities course. The course covers English Literature, History, Law, Government and Politics, Psychology, Sociology.

I'm just wondering what courses did everyone go on to study in Uni, upon completion?

Also, if you are attending the course in September, what are you planning to study in Uni?

Thanks in advance,

A

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start my course in September. I've chosen History, English Lit, Politics and then Law (Law isn't confirmed though). I want to study Anthropology at uni - but they advised me not to take psychology or sociology, which I thought would maybe put me in a better standing than law? The only other options I was given was business and philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    I begin my Access to Humanities course on 22nd August. I will be progressing to University to study Primary Teaching.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting in September and hope to study Journalism at university.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Can I post here? :huff: I'm not doing an access course (couldn't find one), so I'm doing a CertHE in Humanities with the Open University instead. I started it last year, so far I’ve studied various elements of literature, history, music, philosophy, classics, history of art and history of medicine. This year I'll be taking English language and literature, French and history. :work:

I want to study Norwegian and History at university!

ReputationRep:
    I did Psychology and Sociology options and was offered places in Exeter and Bristol for Russian, Liberal Arts and Psychology.

The courses that other people on my course have gone onto have been very diverse. One went on to Law with Psychology and History options. Some went on to History, Primary Education, Criminology, Public Service, Politics. The list is very diverse!

It's good to have an idea of what you want to go on to study at uni beforehand and which modules from the options would be not only most relevant, but most likely to give you some idea of what the material will entail to make sure it's something that you do grasp well and enjoy.

The bigest mistake I made with the Access Course is just that, I had no idea what I wanted to do at university, but as the UCAS deadline is just after Christmas, you're generally expected to apply in the first term so it's easy to rush your choices. A few people I know ended up doing just that and as a result are having to defer their applications until next year.

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed an Access to Humanities and Social sciences (politics, sociology, law and psychology) and I'll be studying History and Politics at the University of Nottingham come September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did an Access to Humanities Course in 2012. Went on to do Film and Television Production at York St John University. Didn't really enjoy it at that Uni despite passing my first year, so I've started again from scratch at Bradford University doing the same course.

Access courses aren't easy, they effectively cram 2 years into 1 so it's quite full on and requires a lot of focus. I worked full time whilst doing the course, starting work at 5pm until 11pm each day. College from 9am until 4:30pm. Homework on weekends. That year almost killed me, but I feel all the more better for it. I've not been out of school as long as some who did it (24 now, 22/23 when I did the course) but no matter what your age, if you're determined enough, and maintain focus, you'll be fine.

I did English Language, English Literature, Biology, History, Study Skills, and English GCSE too as I failed it at School. I came out with an A in English GCSE and got Merits in all the Access Subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did access to humanities at Doncaster college, history, English, education, psychology, and core studies and gcse English along side.
    I'm going on to Sheffield Hallam to stud

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Overall I'd love to study business. Do you think I'll be able to study it after completing this course?

If not, I will be taking Journalism as I'm hoping to become a PR (but I think business would be more appropriate).

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.