Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would never use it to solve linear equations. I prefer Gaussian or even do row operations manually (without putting them in matrices)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reyjusuf)
    I would never use it to solve linear equations. I prefer Gaussian or even do row operations manually (without putting them in matrices)
    Cramer's rule is actually the method that I learnt first. I must say that inverting the matrix using Gaussian Elimination or otherwise seems so much tidier, but I guess with Cramer's rule you can just plug numbers into a calculator.
    I imagine that computing a few determinants with a computer is probably quicker, but I don't know :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Cramer's rule is actually the method that I learnt first. I must say that inverting the matrix using Gaussian Elimination or otherwise seems so much tidier, but I guess with Cramer's rule you can just plug numbers into a calculator.
    I imagine that computing a few determinants with a computer is probably quicker, but I don't know :dontknow:
    I believe solving by Gaussian elimination and calculating a determinant are both O(n^3) operations (at least for fairly standard algorithms, you may be able to do better for large n using some kind of divide and conquer).

Since Cramer's rule requires n determinants, it would therefore be O(n^4) and slower than Gaussian elimination.

For n > 2 the only thing Cramer's rule really has going for it is conciseness of notation, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I believe solving by Gaussian elimination and calculating a determinant are both O(n^3) operations (at least for fairly standard algorithms, you may be able to do better for large n using some kind of divide and conquer).

Since Cramer's rule requires n determinants, it would therefore be O(n^4) and slower than Gaussian elimination.

For n > 2 the only thing Cramer's rule really has going for it is conciseness of notation, to be honest.
    That's fair enough, though I was thinking of using a calculator or something similar which can compute a determinant. Mind you it can solve simultaneous equations too. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Calculators almost certainly compute determinants using Gaussian elimination as well.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reyjusuf)
    It can be useful for proving stuff, but that's really quite rare, since Gaussian elimination lets you use induction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Not directly relevant to the OP but apparently Cramer's rule can be implemented in O(n3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LogicGoat)
    Not directly relevant to the OP but apparently Cramer's rule can be implemented in O(n3)
    Not exactly a "standard algorithm" though. (It's also "divide and conquer" as I alluded).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.