Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been there, so I never got a look around. Is it good?

also I know you get to do another 1-2 subjects, how does that work with physics?

does that mean only 1/3 of your first two years is physics?

ReputationRep:
    In 1st year you do 6 modules of which 2 are physics, 2 or 3 are maths (depends if you want to do the "pure" maths taught by the maths department or maths for physics) and the rest is optional. You can do 1 module in astrophysics if you want but not taking it does not stop you from doing the astrophysics degree.

2nd year is a bit more complicated and you should go look at the DRPS to see all the combinations possible as it changes based on the degree your doing. In general, you will have 2/3 of your modules chosen for you that will cover all the maths and physics you need to study. There is also another astro module available; same as above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qno2)
    In 1st year you do 6 modules of which 2 are physics, 2 or 3 are maths (depends if you want to do the "pure" maths taught by the maths department or maths for physics) and the rest is optional. You can do 1 module in astrophysics if you want but not taking it does not stop you from doing the astrophysics degree.

2nd year is a bit more complicated and you should go look at the DRPS to see all the combinations possible as it changes based on the degree your doing. In general, you will have 2/3 of your modules chosen for you that will cover all the maths and physics you need to study. There is also another astro module available; same as above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heyy, picking up on what you've just mentioned: so it's possible to apply for the 'Physics' course at Edinburgh but end up taking astrophysics or something alongside it? Because I'd much rather take Physics with astrophysics than pure physics alone, but I can only seem to find 'Physics' and 'Astrophysics' courses separately, not both combined.

And sorry, but what's DRPS?? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystals1001)
    Heyy, picking up on what you've just mentioned: so it's possible to apply for the 'Physics' course at Edinburgh but end up taking astrophysics or something alongside it? Because I'd much rather take Physics with astrophysics than pure physics alone, but I can only seem to find 'Physics' and 'Astrophysics' courses separately, not both combined.

And sorry, but what's DRPS?? Thanks
    DRPS stands for Degree Regulations and Programs of Study (See here: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/13-14/dpt/drps_phy.htm) The Astrophysics degree at Edinburgh is basically just a Physics with Astrophysics degree but with a slightly different name. I don't think it would matter too much which one you applied for as years 1 and 2 and very similar or identical for most of the degree programs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.