Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it essential that you bring a laptop or PC if you are living at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Wookie)
    Pretty much, yes. You'll need it for accessing the intranet, writing essays / lab reports and doing other work (and using TSR!) to an extent that it's just not practical to always be using the uni computers.

Unless you're doing a course like graphic design then it doesn't need to be flashy or expensive - you can get something perfectly serviceable for under £200 new nowadays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely. Not having your own computer at uni is suicide.

ReputationRep:
    You can rent laptops at uni as well if you don't own one at the moment. Personally I'd see if you'd really <i> really </i> need to buy one at Christmas, and then pick one up in the January sales.

What I'd say is more important is a good portable storage device, like a USB stick or even a Portable Hard Drive.

ReputationRep:
    i'll be bringing both a laptop and desktop

ReputationRep:
    How would you live without one is the question :confused:
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Wookie)
    It might be hard without one. Just the fact that you would have to trudge over to the learning zone when you needed to use the internet. For a lot of courses you need to submit a typed up copy of your work, which can be annoying if you have to do it all on uni computers as, particularly around deadlines, they can quickly become filled. Printer is a much more reasonable question. I've not got one because I rarely need to print stuff, most of our coursework is handwritten but this is atypical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.