Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

As the title says, i recently started having feelings for one of my friends. We have loads in common and get on extremely well. However he's 2 years younger than me and cant have children, which i know i want in my future.

i don't know what to do, go out with him and know it either wont last or i wont have children. Or not do anything about these feelings and hope they fizzle out?

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to decide on whether wanting children is more important than your feelings for him.
    Also, you could always use other methods such as adoption, sperm donors etc
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you have IVF?

I've thought about all those options and may have to use them if I were to date him. However I've wanted children practically my whole life and have only known him a few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've thought about all those options and may have to use them if I were to date him. However I've wanted children practically my whole life and have only known him a few months.
    ...surely you've just answered your own question...

ReputationRep:
    So if the options are there surely it's no problem?

ReputationRep:
    If you're young (or even not so young) many things can change in your life. It may work it may not. Medical science can do many wonderful things.

I've never known anyone to go from wanting children to not wanting them, but many people go from not wanting them to wanting them (when they meet the right person etc...). Take a while to meet the right person and you'll kiss many frogs first. If you feel something, give it a shot, but always be honest about what you want. If you want children and it gets more serious, then make that clear. It maybe a deal breaker, but better to have loved and lost. One day this person maybe a great 'uncle' to your children - or more. If you don't take the risk you don't get the return.

Good luck. Children are a great gift, but when the time is right and ideally with the right partner.

Thanks guys.
    But the question wasn't how to have children by other means.
    It was whether i should be in a relationship with this guy even though it may not last long or whether i shouldn't and hope the feelings fade.

I have friends which have been adopted and i know its a great thing to do but i also know people that have adopted and they say how they long for a biological child.

I know i could have children by IVF, adoption etc but if i started a relationship with him, id want us to have biological children.

ReputationRep:
    If he's physically incapable of having children and you absolutely require a biological child, why do you need to ask the question? Isn't the answer obvious?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.
    But the question wasn't how to have children by other means.
    It was whether i should be in a relationship with this guy even though it may not last long or whether i shouldn't and hope the feelings fade.

I have friends which have been adopted and i know its a great thing to do but i also know people that have adopted and they say how they long for a biological child.

I know i could have children by IVF, adoption etc but if i started a relationship with him, id want us to have biological children.
    IVF means the child WILL be biologically yours. Hence shouldn't be a deterring factor in starting a relationship!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.