Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying for a PGCE in Primary education with a Criminology Degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a recent graduate of Criminology and I'm really interested in doing a PGCE in Primary education. During my years doing Criminology, my modules and most of my elective courses have been youth oriented and it's peaked my interest into becoming a teacher. I do have some experience with children as I've been a Student Ambassador for my uni and have tutored my younger sister for her 11+ exams and during her time at primary school. I have the necessary GCSE requirments for doing a PGCE but I don't have a degree in a National Curriculum subject, so I believe there may be a hesitation for universities.

There are a few things that I would like some advice on:

1) I hoping to apply next year as I want to gain experience in a school before applying. However, I'm finding it difficult to gain experience in a primary school and was hoping for some advice and pointers as to how I should go about doing this.

2) As I am applying a year after I have graduated, is this considered to be a bad thing? I wanted to have experience before I applying as I don't have an English, Maths or Science (NC Humanities subject) degree, which many applicants for primary education do have.

Any advice that you can give me on how to gain experience and even the application would be brilliant. Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I gained experience (unpaid) just through asking the schools!

However i know that if you ask your recent Uni's careers office im sure they will help you getting in touch with a school?

ReputationRep:
    I rang and emailed local schools using a list from the local council I found online. A lot didn't bother to reply or speak to me at all - don't take it personally. You will stand a better chance if you ask your old school if possible (I couldn't) or where you know a governor or teacher - basically some connection with that particular school.

As I was an accountant with my own practice for many years before I applied (not even a boss to ask for a reference) I asked a client for a reference for the GTTR who I knew was an ex Ofsted inspector only to find she was a governor and she got me an interview with the head for that school which was fantastic. I also got another school myself just by dogged persistence. So just keep asking people you know, look on school websites to see if you do know a governor and don't give up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.