Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alcohol... You people like this stuff? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I haven't drunk alcohol before and I was getting a lot of people asking me why I don't drink. I didn't really have a reason for this, and considering i'd never tasted it I thought it was a bit strict of me to decide not to drink it.

So an opportunity came up recently and I thought i'd have a Coca-Cola and rum. I love coke but when you add rum it makes almost undrinkable. I honestly don't know how you can enjoy it. I then tried a vodka and lemonade, thinking that vodka may have less of a taste, but that was also not too nice.

I gave it one last stab and I had a cocktail with tequila in. This was OK but still, it's not something that I would enjoy to drink. It's not something you can take big mouthfuls of!

(Obviously they were not all one after the other!)

So does the taste of alcohol grow on you or something? I really don't understand how people can get addicted to this stuff- I can't even see why people would drink it in a restaurant instead of something that tasted nice. I was expecting it to be really good considering how much people obsess over it, but it was a bit of a disappointment!

ReputationRep:
    How old are you, out of interest?

Your taste buds change over time. I never used to like certain alcoholic drinks (proper ale being one of them), but now I enjoy them a lot (proper ale being one of them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottScott)
    How old are you, out of interest?

Your taste buds change over time. I never used to like certain alcoholic drinks (proper ale being one of them), but now I enjoy them a lot (proper ale being one of them).
    18. I tried beer too but I one sip was enough for me to not even try another sip.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, you may find that it changes in a few yea0rs. It was around 18-20 that I started drinking what I drink now; ales, whiskey etc.

ReputationRep:
    But similarly, if you don't like it, it will probably save you a lot of money in the long run!

ReputationRep:
    Try Kopparberg strawberry and lime and Hooch. I'm similar to you, but I love these drinks :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Most people dislike alcohol at first, and have to habituate to the taste.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the taste of alcohol, which is why a lot of the time I drink vodka and orange (I can deal with that) or cocktails. Can't really taste the alcohol then, just a nice drink.

ReputationRep:
    try a fruit cider like rekorderling, it's lovely. I think alcohol is an acquired taste.

ReputationRep:
    You will get use to it you just have a low tolerance just keep trying different drink until you find the right one

ReputationRep:
    go to a bar and try everything, you will find SOMETHING!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely something that grows on you. At first i hated cider, now i drink it like water, then i started liking beer, it's just a gradual thing I suppose.
    As for spirits though, I still don't particularly enjoy vodka shots ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I hate Strongbow, vodka and whiskey actually, but love some ciders (including Kopparberg) and real ale. I drink in moderation for my health and wellbeing though, I don't like getting pissed anymore

BUt different strokes for different folks. If you don't like to drink then that's fair enough and no-one should judge you for it
    If you do want to drink but don't like the taste now, then rest assured it'll grow on you in time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also 18 and despite 3 years of habituation, I still don't like beer. But I used to hate wine, and now I don't mind it. And I quite like liqueurs and spirits+juices, as long as they taste lightly of alcohol. It's just a bit different to having them without alcohol.

So the older you get, the more you'll get to like various drinks. Usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I haven't drunk alcohol before and I was getting a lot of people asking me why I don't drink. I didn't really have a reason for this, and considering i'd never tasted it I thought it was a bit strict of me to decide not to drink it.

So an opportunity came up recently and I thought i'd have a Coca-Cola and rum. I love coke but when you add rum it makes almost undrinkable. I honestly don't know how you can enjoy it. I then tried a vodka and lemonade, thinking that vodka may have less of a taste, but that was also not too nice.

I gave it one last stab and I had a cocktail with tequila in. This was OK but still, it's not something that I would enjoy to drink. It's not something you can take big mouthfuls of!

(Obviously they were not all one after the other!)

So does the taste of alcohol grow on you or something? I really don't understand how people can get addicted to this stuff- I can't even see why people would drink it in a restaurant instead of something that tasted nice. I was expecting it to be really good considering how much people obsess over it, but it was a bit of a disappointment!
    Yeah it grows on you, I reckon I must've first had a sip of wine when I was around 8, and I absolutely HATED it.

Even as your tastebuds age, people generally start off drinking alcopops and cider, which is nice and sweet with a non-alcoholic main flavour, eg a Smirnoff will basically be lemonade with a bit of alcohol, and obviously cider tastes of apple, or pear.

Then people graduate onto lagers which are semi-fizzy, and then onto ales and bitters, which have no fizz and are more foamy and hop-flavoured

edit: below you can see specimen A, who is currently 3/4 into the second phase of alcohol acclimatisation :holmes:
    (Original post by Caits7)
    It's definitely something that grows on you. At first i hated cider, now i drink it like water, then i started liking beer, it's just a gradual thing I suppose.
    As for spirits though, I still don't particularly enjoy vodka shots ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I HATE the taste of alcohol, whatever it may be. But I don't drink it out of pleasure. So you'll see people have a beer during a BBQ or a glass of wine with dinner because of the taste... But I only drink if I want to get a bit drunk/tipsy! Otherwise I wouldn't drink at all...

ReputationRep:
    To Alcohol: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!

OP there will be an alcoholic drink you think tastes nice, you just have to find it. I personally love straight vodka, straight whisky and such. Just mix and match until you find a drink you like.

ReputationRep:
    Disaronno or flavoured ciders are about the only drinks I can manage.

ReputationRep:
    Its an acquired taste, I didn't like beer at first but now nothing beats a good ale. Plus the getting merry part of drinking isn't bad either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Try Kopparberg strawberry and lime and Hooch. I'm similar to you, but I love these drinks :drool:
    I had a sip of this so nice,my new candy :candycane:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.