Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British people have issues talking to strangers Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that British people seem to have such an issue talking to strangers? I'll be out with friends and say we are on the train they will see somebody they want to talk to but just can't, then when I do it they look amazed I managed to... Why are so many people scared to talk to other people?

ReputationRep:
    It's just part of the culture. I'd find it weird if someone came up to me on the train and started talking to me.

ReputationRep:
    British people are generally not very sociable I find. They are only sociable when it involves three things and how they might get them: drink; money; and sex.

That's it usually, in my experience. Just go on the London Underground at 7am and you'll notice masses of people will not look at each other. They are going to work to make money. Then they get back on and do the same. They are going home to drink and have sex.

ReputationRep:
    Because of the media; can't be talking to strangers might be perverted rapists.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you just don't need to if: you're not going to see them again or you're preoccupied. I think for many people they're afraid of rejection and don't like change (i.e. moving away from their usual friendship groups).

ReputationRep:
    Its the British way sadly.

ReputationRep:
    No, other cultures have a problem. The British way is clearly the best.

ReputationRep:
    I really badly am the opposite & will talk to anyone! I used to be really shy but after working in a supermarket & in a theme park I have to stop myself speaking to strangers on trains for fear of being thought of as a complete freak!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I just find it funny how lots of my friends say they want to talk to them, but then just won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily27x)
    I really badly am the opposite & will talk to anyone! I used to be really shy but after working in a supermarket & in a theme park I have to stop myself speaking to strangers on trains for fear of being thought of as a complete freak!
    talk to an Irish person, we love and oul' chat

ReputationRep:
    I don't find the strangers thing too odd. Everybody on the tube or on the bus is on their way somewhere and spending the time either preparing for school/work or reading the paper. I am not afraid to talk to people, it's just that on public transport I will spend my time either last minute studying for something I already should have studied for or reading, as I don't get to do that too often otherwise and have plenty of books to catch up on. I think you will find this the same on public transport in other countries - whether you are in Scandinavia, on the Metro in Paris or on the underground in New York. Americans are outgoing, but walk through Tribeca or Wall Street and tell me most people aren't busy enough with themselves. I don't think it should be a goal to talk to stranger all the time, as long as you can be sociable.

I do agree that British people aren't known to be super sociable. I'm not English but since living here for two years I do agree that the stereotype that they are a tad 'stiff' often holds true. Also, a lot of men are afraid to approach women unless they're very drunk. In France or in the US they are better at striking up a casual conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by すごいです)
    Why is it that British people seem to have such an issue talking to strangers? I'll be out with friends and say we are on the train they will see somebody they want to talk to but just can't, then when I do it they look amazed I managed to... Why are so many people scared to talk to other people?
    people dont want to be bothered. but i notice oriental ppl can be quiet or plain boring. at university they just stared at people and only spoke to strangers whp were also oriental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    talk to an Irish person, we love and oul' chat
    This be so true. One of my best mates is Irish and he never stops talking.

ReputationRep:
    I have issues talking to strangers in a desolate, dirty, dark alley at night.

ReputationRep:
    I find the rave scene is the natural antidote to this scenario. There is no reason why we should feel compelled to be like those automatons in the city. Assume each day is yer last; take a new drug; discover someone new; bang an interesting lass/lad. Dont fall in to the trap of believing all that hocum the elite feed you about education and work - consumerism is the worst drug of the lot of em.

ReputationRep:
    i find it strange that people on the tube hardly talk. im always up for a chat when i'm on the way home. depends on personalities and how sociable people are at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    being in a lift is the worst/stupidest. There's literally nothing whatsoever that's interesting in there but people just blank each other completely.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest and say I generally mind my own business when on public transport. I don't know anybody else there, so I just want to be left alone lol.. It also depends on who speaks to me. It may sound judgmental, but given types of persons I would simply ignore.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider every British person to have social issues - maybe reserved, but not troubled.

My dad is a considerably talkative and outgoing person but only at the certain times (at the cashier or waiting in line). Otherwise, he'll keep everything to himself.
    On the other hand, my boyfriend is extremely quiet and will keep everything to himself. He dislikes random chitchats and will ignore talkative, nosey, or obnoxious strangers.
    Different people, different ways. But by the looks of it, most Brits are reserved.

As an Asian myself, I have to add that some Asians can't shut up

ReputationRep:
    British people are less open compared to other people such as Americans.
    I am currently in LA and I am British and I feel the difference. I think it is due to just staying inside all the time and when you are outside everyone is moody lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.