The Student Room Group

Needing some urgent advice !!

Hey guys,

I'm in sixth year now and thank goodness 5th year is over and done with. The grades I got were decent and they are as follow

Higher English- A ,
Higher Geography- A,
Higher Human Biology- A ,
Higher Maths- C ( :P ) ,
Higher Chemistry- B ( Was really disappointed with this as I checked today and was only 2-4 marks away from an A, hoping for an appeal but was again 2-3 marks away :/ !)

Anyways, have been really confused and stressed for the last few days as I hoped to do medicine but evidently that can't happen this year :s-smilie: Had a talk with a few of my teachers including my PSE and she said best option now is to apply for a Science Course and then apply as a Graduate. I looked at BioMedicine ( a strong choice ) as an option or Sports Medicine. Was wondering if anyone could let me know any other options there is ?

Also, if for example this year I took Adv Chemistry and Biology, Higher Physics and Business Management ( crashing both ). See if I do reasonably well in these subjects and manage to get an AA or AB for the Adv Highers, will there be any chance of applying for Med school or will it still be not a choice :s-smilie:

Just to note, I am also doing an Open University Course as well and also a Saltire Award.

Sorry for the long paragraphs but I really need some advice from some experts on Student Room !!

Thank you very much and I really appreciate all the advice you give !!
Reply 1
A C in maths will be a disadvantage for applying for medicine. But if you get a 1st or 2:1 and do extremely well in modules including maths you should stand a chance. I think any degrees like Chemistry (especially MChem), Bio, Human Bio, Anatomy etc will be to your advantage. I have called Edinburgh Uni before regarding whether they prefer graduates with Bio degree or BioMed, they say it doesn't make a difference so long the grades are the same :wink: hope this helps!
Reply 2
Sorry for not answering your question but could you tell me how you found out what marks you got in your biology paper?
Reply 3
Original post by Confused!
Sorry for not answering your question but could you tell me how you found out what marks you got in your biology paper?

Ask your school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ask your teacher they will have the percentages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey thanks for your reply what do you mean by 1st etc..:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by itsGrand131415
Hey thanks for your reply what do you mean by 1st etc..:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the way the UK gives out degrees as in a first class honours in biology for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh kewl kewl thanks btw for taking the time and advice !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply