Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quitting my job to focus on my final year... big mistake? watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short - my first and second year has been pretty rough. I have had to redo a couple of modules in my first year due to the unbalance or poor management of my uni work with work and this year not complete semester one at all because I was juggling work and therapy. So I have decided that enough is enough. I want to do well at uni, I am very capable too. But we are not judged on potential but rather what you produce.

My only fear is that my parents won't support me financially. I am not the greatest with managing money but I am reasonably sensible. Plus house bill and phone bill.

I suppose I could apply for assistance with money from uni but even with that I need to find out.

What do you think? At this rate I am heading towards a 2:2. I want a first though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamsuperwoman)
    Long story short - my first and second year has been pretty rough. I have had to redo a couple of modules in my first year due to the unbalance or poor management of my uni work with work and this year not complete semester one at all because I was juggling work and therapy. So I have decided that enough is enough. I want to do well at uni, I am very capable too. But we are not judged on potential but rather what you produce.

My only fear is that my parents won't support me financially. I am not the greatest with managing money but I am reasonably sensible. Plus house bill and phone bill.

I suppose I could apply for assistance with money from uni but even with that I need to find out.

What do you think? At this rate I am heading towards a 2:2. I want a first though!
    Honestly, I think quit your job and focusing on your final year is good decision. Just make the most of your income and reduce your costs as much as possible. You spending three years in your degree, if you get a 2.2 then it would have been all for nothing tbh. You going to have to budget like no tomorrow, find all the deals you can get. Orange Wednesday, Tesco clubcard, do your shopping at cheaper supermarket. Stuff like that will help you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends a lot on what course you're doing and the hours you are working. I had a weekend job during my final year and I didn't find it too much of a struggle, however I did a humanities subject so there weren't a lot of contact hours.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.