Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF Regiment, Paras or Marines? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looking to join as an Officer after my A2 levels. I understand it is very hard to join the forces as an Officer at 18 years old. But im convinced I have the skills to join as an Officer. If I dont then would joining as a regular solider be recommended? or should I do my physiotherapy degree?

I've always looked at joining the RAF Regiment (always wanted to be a pilot as a kid but haven't got the vision). But looking at the paras and marines i'm not too sure which one to join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kierandowson)
    Looking to join as an Officer after my A2 levels. I understand it is very hard to join the forces as an Officer at 18 years old. But im convinced I have the skills to join as an Officer. If I dont then would joining as a regular solider be recommended? or should I do my physiotherapy degree?

I've always looked at joining the RAF Regiment (always wanted to be a pilot as a kid but haven't got the vision). But looking at the paras and marines i'm not too sure which one to join.
    Each does a very different job, it's like comparing Police, Fire and Ambulance. Take the time to read into the roles and duties of each as well as typical uses of each and come to your own decision.

As to the joining issue, it is always, but always, better to go to uni and get your degree first.
    Firstly, while you might be mature enough, spending 3yrs living independently, joining the UAS/OTC, growing up - both physically and mentally - will stand you in far better stead when applying to join. It will make you more competitive in the application and selection process.
    Secondly, think about the what ifs. What if you fail selection? What if you get injure after 2 years? What if further defence cuts leave you redundant later on? Having a degree means that you're in a position to compete for jobs in the civilian world.
    Thirdly, if you want to join as an officer, then apply to join as an officer. No real need to join as a regular soldier first and, indeed, in some cases that can count against you (the Army, for instance, still has an aversion to commissioning ex-rankers).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Each does a very different job, it's like comparing Police, Fire and Ambulance. Take the time to read into the roles and duties of each as well as typical uses of each and come to your own decision.

As to the joining issue, it is always, but always, better to go to uni and get your degree first.
    Firstly, while you might be mature enough, spending 3yrs living independently, joining the UAS/OTC, growing up - both physically and mentally - will stand you in far better stead when applying to join. It will make you more competitive in the application and selection process.
    Secondly, think about the what ifs. What if you fail selection? What if you get injure after 2 years? What if further defence cuts leave you redundant later on? Having a degree means that you're in a position to compete for jobs in the civilian world.
    Thirdly, if you want to join as an officer, then apply to join as an officer. No real need to join as a regular soldier first and, indeed, in some cases that can count against you (the Army, for instance, still has an aversion to commissioning ex-rankers).
    cheers for the advice mate. I think I will apply for Regt. Officer and if Im not successful do a degree in Physiotherapy.

ReputationRep:
    Joining at 18 is a challenge as an officer - you need to be able to show a real spark of leadership and know that within 2 years you could be running a reasonably sized formation as an officer, and be expected to offer life advice to older, more experienced personnel with problems.
    I'd go to uni, get life skills and join a university military unit to understand about your preferred service. All three choices you list are very different in style, nature and values, with very different commissioning routes. Also, all three are oversubscribed and they can be VERY choosy about who they take onboard. At 18 you'd need to have something very special to convince the AIB/OASC/RCB to take a risk on you, when they could offer a slot to an older, more life experienced person.
    Do the degree, then go back to HM Forces - they'll still be there, and you wont regret doing uni.

ReputationRep:
    Go to university first.

The forces are in a state of change at the moment and the main emphasis is going on building the new 'Reserve Force'

Take heed and get your degree firstly. You can see about joining a Reserve Battalion, most have a national footprint nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Work on your spelling and grammar. Officers are expected to have excellent written communication skills.

As others have said, the three are very different. As an RAF regiment officer, you will be mostly leading your men in small actions brassing up friendly aircraft and your own body armour, as an officer in the Paras you are more likely to be sharing pints of bodily fluid and engaging in non-homosexual fellatio, and as a Royal Marine officer you will be expected to maintain high standards of fitness and handsomeness while carrying out a role involving life taking and heart breaking that would cripple Casanova.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.