Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to not accidentally insult people? (srs) Watch

I always seem to do this stupid stuff where I say something meaning something a bit playful or joking and a girl will take it is an insult...like I joked a girl about her liking food tech as a bit of a sexist joke and she thought i was insulting her weight...seriously I do this so often. How do you guys watch your mouth around girls to not offend them?

ReputationRep:
    I'll respect srs tag lul.

Uhmm just analyze what your going to say in your head before you say it. Basically think before you speak. That's all there is to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    .like I joked a girl about her liking food tech as a bit of a sexist joke and she thought i was insulting her weight
    I sniggered, hard

(Original post by Straight up G)
    I sniggered, hard
    So did I when she reached that conclusion, which made it even worse

ReputationRep:
    Some people get offended by anything. Just ignore these people. Otherwise common sense... Only give banter if you know that person can take it.

(Original post by ZRO)
    I'll respect srs tag lul.

Uhmm just analyze what your going to say in your head before you say it. Basically think before you speak. That's all there is to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol my brain dont work quick like that. I get nervous and panic and scared im boring so need to say something interesting or i'll bore her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    lol my brain dont work quick like that. I get nervous and panic and scared im boring so need to say something interesting or i'll bore her
    Hmm i guess if its how you are then she should know and accept you have a joking nature/personality. Just assure her you are only joking? Or try and think faster brain training lul

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You do it by not making risque jokes until you know someone better to know that they won't be offended by something. It's like you never joke about religion, politics etc. with someone you don't know about until you know their views on that front.

ReputationRep:
    Or, OP you could just not really care all that much about what everyone thinks/does not think about you. Some people are going to like you and some aren't. So long as you're not being intentionally cruel towards someone then just carry on as you are. I'm fairly sure that most people would be a lot happier if they followed this approach.

ReputationRep:
    Depends.

If you didn't know honestly, then just apologise and move on.

Though it's common sense to some degree. If you don't know the person, make neutral statements. If you meet, say, a Muslim, don't talk to him or her about terrorism. Ask him or her about Eid or something.

I guess offence is subjective, but one can figure it out depending who the person is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    Some people get offended by anything. Just ignore these people. Otherwise common sense... Only give banter if you know that person can take it.
    Yeah, the other person is always wrong. Just as you have your personality, the other person does to. And yeah, some people aren't serious and don't like joking around.
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you're being too sarcastic around people.

ReputationRep:
    Less sarcasm? Until you know people don't use it, people take it the wrong way sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    This is something I manage to do on a desperately inconvenient basis. Admittedly it is often probably due to the nature of my humour and the boundaries that it seemingly isn't able distinguish, but my God some people are ridiculously touchy and take every word as an insult. These people just need avoiding, sarcasm is beyond their grasp.

ReputationRep:
    Just try not to make yourself look like a fool around people, especially if you are wanting to get to know them on a personal level.

ReputationRep:
    I am the worst for accidentally insulting people, I tend not to speak too much now because of it. The first time I seen my cousin in ten years was at a funeral a few months back and I told him that at least he looked better bald than he did with the spotty greasy face and MacDonald's uniform... Seriously, I was horrified afterwards, luckily he was understanding that I am just incredibly sarcastic, but I try to think before I speak now.

ReputationRep:
    er.. people think/value differently. Saying liking food tech to her probably is sexist, since she was probably thinking you were saying women are only good for cookery. What context did you say it in anyhow? Give a full description of the conversation. I generally don't care how others think, but it's silly to presume anybody else sees things as you do.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't recognise it, I doubt you will be able to in the future.

The safest bet would be not to make any kind of jokes and such. You can test the water by making small jokes then progress up. If things get screwed up, you can always just explain yourself

ReputationRep:
    I don't censor myself. If someone's offended by something I say, we tend to just laugh it off - at least within my social groups. As for people I don't know too well - I don't really care if they're offended, I don't really know them and will likely have little interest in doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously in certain cases, common sense should prevail, but overall I feel that you shouldn't judge your social actions on the presumption of what another's reaction will be.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.