Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MSI GT680 DC Power Jack burnt out / Motherboard needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    soooo basically i was havin problem with the laptop struggling to recognize when the charger was plugged in and i had to adjust it into position and make sure it didnt move for it to charge...then a few weeks back i smelt something burning and smoke came out of the fan area (which meant the dc jack had burnt out)...so i ordered a new dc power jack from USA and opened the laptop up and can i say its really poor arrangement of components by MSI cos i had to take out nearly everything to get access to the jack which was stuck to the motherboard, it should really have its own wiring and seperate area if it can be burnt like this (like my dads acer does, his dc jack burnt out too but it was completely separate wiring for it so it took him 15mins to sort it out)
    aaanyways i did eventually get to the dc jack and tried to desolder it from the motherboard and it took me ages, maybe because of the solder used on the jack or maybe cos the soldering iron i had wasnt hot enough, either way i finally got it off and soldered the new jack into place and put everything back together and crossed my fingers before plugging the charger back in but there was a little spark so i took it out immediately, the circuit must have shorted somewhere or some of the components must have burnt out intially

now i've got a dilemma in what to do...i live in the UK so parts are hard to come by and i dont think im under warranty cos i've had the laptop for more then 2 years so i think i need a motherboard but dont know where to look for it, any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    soooo basically i was havin problem with the laptop struggling to recognize when the charger was plugged in and i had to adjust it into position and make sure it didnt move for it to charge...then a few weeks back i smelt something burning and smoke came out of the fan area (which meant the dc jack had burnt out)...so i ordered a new dc power jack from USA and opened the laptop up and can i say its really poor arrangement of components by MSI cos i had to take out nearly everything to get access to the jack which was stuck to the motherboard, it should really have its own wiring and seperate area if it can be burnt like this (like my dads acer does, his dc jack burnt out too but it was completely separate wiring for it so it took him 15mins to sort it out)
    aaanyways i did eventually get to the dc jack and tried to desolder it from the motherboard and it took me ages, maybe because of the solder used on the jack or maybe cos the soldering iron i had wasnt hot enough, either way i finally got it off and soldered the new jack into place and put everything back together and crossed my fingers before plugging the charger back in but there was a little spark so i took it out immediately, the circuit must have shorted somewhere or some of the components must have burnt out intially

now i've got a dilemma in what to do...i live in the UK so parts are hard to come by and i dont think im under warranty cos i've had the laptop for more then 2 years so i think i need a motherboard but dont know where to look for it, any suggestions?
    Laptops are very different to desktop repairs...........you'll need to look for the exact part,or a old broken one where the parts are being sold off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Laptops are very different to desktop repairs...........you'll need to look for the exact part,or a old broken one where the parts are being sold off.
    yhh i know that ms-16f21 version 1.1 is used in MSI GT680 but can't find any buyers in UK

ReputationRep:
    yhh i know that ms-16f21 version 1.1 is used in MSI GT680 but can't find any buyers in UK
    Your going to struggle quite a lot........did you ask MSi directly?

ReputationRep:
    With something like a Power Supply jack burning out I would want to check there's not some other issue first. They really shouldn't burn out if everything is working correctly.

Regardless of it being in warranty doing that repair would probably have voided it anyway. If it took a while (more than a few seconds) to melt the solder your soldering iron either wasn't hot enough or couldn't transfer the heat quickly. This could mean you've overheated other components and damaged them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Your going to struggle quite a lot........did you ask MSi directly?
    nope gonna do that today but im just trying to locate it myself and only found this so far
    http://www.buy-motherboard.co.uk/lap...tem-board.html

which seems a tad expensive

ReputationRep:
    nope gonna do that today but im just trying to locate it myself and only found this so far
    http://www.buy-motherboard.co.uk/lap...tem-board.html

which seems a tad expensive
    I have no idea if thats genuine or not.............

I would expect it to be very expensive, these are laptop mobo, they aren't exactly mass produced compared to desktop mobos nor would I expect that to be brand new.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.