Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody
    I'm crashing higher physics this year and we have started the mechanics topic, but I'm kind of struggling right now any advice? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IqraHaq)
    Hi everybody
    I'm crashing higher physics this year and we have started the mechanics topic, but I'm kind of struggling right now any advice? :confused:
    Hi! I'm a fellow HL Physics student that just finished IB1. I found mechanics to be one of the hardest topics, but it will help if you know data booklet. It's hard enough to memorise so many formulae and it doesn't help that all of them look so similar, so if you know which ones are in the booklet, you can free up some space in your mind to remember other things, like all the different physical laws and their explanations. Also, the formulae are grouped together in topics, so you can quickly flick through the booklet to the right topic and check which formulae are relevant.

Practicing with past papers is also very good, since you'll get used to the type of questions they ask you and what you have to do to get marks. Buying a study guide might be useful, especially if you want a quick recap on what you've forgotten. I use the one published by OUP and I find that it summarises concepts pretty well - great when you have a day left until your tests/exams. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Thanks we have just started the mechanics topic and have completed the uncertainties and have now started vectors, I just don't understand how to calculate a scale for scale drawings? I just don't understand how to do that quickly in my head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IqraHaq)
    Hiya! Thanks we have just started the mechanics topic and have completed the uncertainties and have now started vectors, I just don't understand how to calculate a scale for scale drawings? I just don't understand how to do that quickly in my head
    Scale drawings? You mean for vectors? If you need to draw a vector to scale, you can just use the markings on the ruler. Say you had two forces of 4.5N and 9N going at right angles to each other, I'd just draw an arrow with length of 4.5 cm and another with length of 9 cm with a right angle between them.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the joys of HL physics... I've just finished the IB, but had huge problems with physics! Mechanics isn't easy when you first do it, especially since IB level is normally a big gap from the previous course. I found that the best thing was to use lots of books (I had the one by Tsokos as well as the revision guide, the Pearson book and the Oxford book) so you can put together a better understanding on each concept. The example questions are also really useful, as well as practice questions in the book. My school also ran subject support sessions, which most people never bothered to go to, so most weeks I spent half an hour with another teacher going over questions and concepts (really useful to have a second teacher to explain differently!). I realise most schools don't have this, but you'll be surprised how helpful individual teachers can be - my normal teacher was also the (extremely busy) head, but when the other one was off sick for six weeks, she found time to see me outside of class, and again to review past papers before the exams. Lastly, there are loads of online resources and study sites, particularly for mechanics - just google it.

I know this won't sound helpful now, but mechanics seems a LOT easier when you come back to it for review later! If you can get past it, you'll do thermal physics, and waves - much easier and by then you'll be in the right mindset.

Hope this helps a little!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys a lot! I'm just feeling really stressed with my subjects for this year I don't know how I'm going to handle my adv higher sciences on top of the higher physics! Stressing out :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.