Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ucas is down:

"ucas.com is currently unavailable due to a criminal denial of service attack. No personal information has been compromised.

We are working hard to restore the service and have contingency plans in place to ensure no one is disadvantaged.

We are confident that Confirmation and Clearing will go ahead as normal tomorrow.

You'll still be able to access Clearing vacancies at midnight via search.ucas.com and Track from 08:00 tomorrow at track.ucas.com"

(from the UCAS facebook page)

ReputationRep:
    Some people have gone to extremes to take their minds off results day haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaux)
    Some people have gone to extremes to take their minds off results day haha.
    Wow! Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Wow, just pathetic. Words can't describe the actions that some ********s will commit just for the lols.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you ddos ucas, ****

ReputationRep:
    UCAS basically gets ddos'd in the morning anyway.

If this is a warmup to the main event, I am not impressed UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Probably an incredibly butthurt individual who wants to ruin it for everybody.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Relax - UCAS and universities used to cope fine before the internet! And if UCAS *does* have trouble tomorrow then unis will just bypass it and email their applicants directly.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Nah don't worry about it. It seems to be normal that this happens. It may also go down round about midnight when everyone immediately logs on to check. They're usually quite rapid about getting UCAS back up and running.

It makes no difference if it's down now, nothing will have changed.

Remain the object of calm (at least exteriorly)

ReputationRep:
    back on

ReputationRep:
    Ahh all part of the 12 hours of fun that UCAS will bring you on results day! Strap yourselves in and enjoy

ReputationRep:
    I can get it on my phone...

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wanted any more reassurance, a software company that my dad's had dealings with does UCAS' system, and it's one of the more impressive server setups in the country. For an organisation that, as others have said, basically gets routinely DDoSed every year, it's nothing they can't cope with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Relax - UCAS and universities used to cope fine before the internet! And if UCAS *does* have trouble tomorrow then unis will just bypass it and email their applicants directly.
    Haha, I'm old enough to have applied before internet was commonplace, AND my application was handwritten !!!

UCAS will have a Plan B lined up, it may well include the universities emailing you directly, or UCAS sending out emails, but rest assured that they will have a back-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Ahh all part of the 12 hours of fun that UCAS will bring you on results day! Strap yourselves in and enjoy
    I like you sir, using sarcasm as a coping mechanism. Are you waiting for exam results?

Wait... sarcasm... You must be atleast a second year.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunnyjo)
    Haha, I'm old enough to have applied before internet was commonplace, AND my application was handwritten !!!
    Same here - in fact so long ago most of the staff still pronounced UCAS as Uck-ass (because they'd got used to UCCA)

< / TSRgranny>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    I like you sir, using sarcasm as a coping mechanism. Are you waiting for exam results?

Wait... sarcasm... You must be atleast a second year.
    Im a OAP second year yes! Yourself snowflake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Im a OAP second year yes! Yourself snowflake?
    Second year, Chemistry @ Sheffield. Don't know how mind. Definitely would not want to go through UCAS again. Am currently stressing on behalf of a couple of friends. I'll be so proud tomorrow morning when I find out they've all got where they wanted to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Same here - in fact so long ago most of the staff still pronounced UCAS as Uck-ass (because they'd got used to UCCA)

< / TSRgranny>
    Ah yes! I forgot about that. My head of Upper 6th used to say UckAss ... Lower and Upper 6th, none of this Year 12/13 malarkey

Better be good, I'm going to be a fresher again in a few short weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunnyjo)

UCAS will have a Plan B lined up, it may well include the universities emailing you directly, or UCAS sending out emails, but rest assured that they will have a back-up.
    UCCA?
    Edit: Should have read to the end before posting. Remember PCAS, anybody?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.