Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I be worried that most of the courses are in clearing? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Leicester has courses in clearing and are asking for BBB when originally they asked for AAA. Even Sheffield,Warwick and almost all of Loughborough courses are in clearing

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why that would worry you... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanessap)
    Leicester has courses in clearing and are asking for BBB when originally they asked for AAA. Even Sheffield,Warwick and almost all of Loughborough courses are in clearing
    Worried? Why? It's starting to look like the sale of the century. Universities seem to be taking advantage of the lifting of the cap on ABB+ students to expand numbers. On a personal level, if you had an offer for AAA and they've dropped to BBB in clearing, you've not got much to worry about unless you had a serious ​meltdown in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    The number of applicants is lower than it use to be so more spaces are available. University like a course to be full so they can make their money out of it, thus lowering entry requirements for clearing. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    The number of applicants is lower than it use to be so more spaces are available. University like a course to be full so they can make their money out of it, thus lowering entry requirements for clearing. Simple as that.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Worried? Why? It's starting to look like the sale of the century. Universities seem to be taking advantage of the lifting of the cap on ABB+ students to expand numbers. On a personal level, if you had an offer for AAA and they've dropped to BBB in clearing, you've not got much to worry about unless you had a serious ​meltdown in the exams.
    Lool I guess you are right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPL9457)
    why?
    Well, it's a comparative thing really. Two years ago there was an artificial surge of people trying to beat the fee increase, which resulted in a fall the following year. The economic climate is putting people off. All sorts of factors.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...260&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there's an aspect of that, but last year was also a pretty good year for Clearing because of the clamp down on grade-flation. A lot more people didn't meet their offer than in previous years last year, and a lot more people were accepted despite that even if they were capped. Early indications are that trend might be continuing this year?

Moral of the story if you're waiting on offers - missing your grades is not always a guaranteed rejection as it used to be. Iif ofqual does clamp down, then its effect on applicants' university places is minimal because universities have to adjust by reducing their offers and being more lenient.

Of course... I'm only hypothesizing here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I'm sure there's an aspect of that, but last year was also a pretty good year for Clearing because of the clamp down on grade-flation. A lot more people didn't meet their offer than in previous years last year, and a lot more people were accepted despite that even if they were capped. Early indications are that trend might be continuing this year?

Moral of the story if you're waiting on offers - missing your grades is not always a guaranteed rejection as it used to be. Iif ofqual does clamp down, then its effect on applicants' university places is minimal because universities have to adjust by reducing their offers and being more lenient.

Of course... I'm only hypothesizing here.
    I'm sure you're right. It's seemed to be a better environment for those who miss their offers than it used to be. It makes advising kids on where to apply in the first place a bit more difficult than it used to be, though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're right. It's seemed to be a better environment for those who miss their offers than it used to be. It makes advising kids on where to apply in the first place a bit more difficult than it used to be, though.
    Indeed, it only really works if the universities reduce their entry requirements to reflect the falling grades, but I guess that wouldn't go down well in the marketing department!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, it only really works if the universities reduce their entry requirements to reflect the falling grades, but I guess that wouldn't go down well in the marketing department!
    No. In the old days, you knew where you were - which were the courses that wouldn't budge and were out of a kid's reach. Now it's almost worth saying to a kid with BBB predictions that it's worth having a shot at anything. I wouldn't, but it makes it a difficult job.

ReputationRep:
    No. In the old days, you knew where you were - which were the courses that wouldn't budge and were out of a kid's reach. Now it's almost worth saying to a kid with BBB predictions that it's worth having a shot at anything. I wouldn't, but it makes it a difficult job.
    I guess the advice is take a punt on 1 or 2, place 2-3 based on entry requirements then stick in a safe bet.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the advice is take a punt on 1 or 2, place 2-3 based on entry requirements then stick in a safe bet.
    That's pretty much always been the advice. Two safe bets if the kid's a bit iffy.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be worried just really annoyed. People work really hard to meet their AAA or AAB conditional offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPL9457)
    why?
    Its a general trend across the whole board, mainly due to the rise in tuition fees. There are around 40,000 fewer applicants this year compared to 2011.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.