Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to meet new people. I'm in a social rut and just want to meet new people and hopefully get a girlfriend from this! But I don't know the best way to do this, any suggestions?

Just don't suggest 'clubbing' aha

ReputationRep:
    How do you spend your time at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)
    How do you spend your time at the moment?
    Gaming haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmertic)
    Gaming haha!
    OK, how about a job? Or volunteering somewhere? Or a hobby-related club? Or any events in your area?

ReputationRep:
    OK, how about a job? Or volunteering somewhere? Or a hobby-related club? Or any events in your area?
    Got a job the other day, but don't think I'll meet many people there. Not that type of place :/

ReputationRep:
    Coffee shops? I'm quite the regular to my local one, so I know most of the people. And why won't you be making friends with your colleagues? Try, at least

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, any friends who could set you up? If you're the type who doesn't get out that much etc or have many opportunities to meet women then maybe try online dating? It isn't for everyone but might work for you.

I'm sure you'll make friends at work at the very least!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondenotbimbo)
    Coffee shops? I'm quite the regular to my local one, so I know most of the people. And why won't you be making friends with your colleagues? Try, at least
    Oh I'll befriend them, just not the type of place where I'd hang out with them outside of work 'cause of age difference. Hmm, I could try a coffee shop I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    Hmm, any friends who could set you up? If you're the type who doesn't get out that much etc or have many opportunities to meet women then maybe try online dating? It isn't for everyone but might work for you.
    I was thinking about that but I'm only 18 haha

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about that but I'm only 18 haha
    I'm sure you can join dating sites at 18. Though I suppose a lot of the people on there will be a bit older.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'll befriend them, just not the type of place where I'd hang out with them outside of work 'cause of age difference. Hmm, I could try a coffee shop I suppose
    Ah, make sure to try a library too Just generally be friendly to people and have a casual conversation and you never know where it might go!

ReputationRep:
    Club +1.

Even if you're a beginner in the club (tennis, rock climbing, debating, yoga, beer brewing, skiing, whatever) you'll still find great friendly ppl who will help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    I'm sure you can join dating sites at 18. Though I suppose a lot of the people on there will be a bit older.
    Yeah it's cause the age gap would be a good few years I imagine! I'd just like to meet someone Haha

ReputationRep:
    Join a unisex volleyball team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondenotbimbo)
    Ah, make sure to try a library too Just generally be friendly to people and have a casual conversation and you never know where it might go!
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    You're all lovely people I must say aha!

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean about your job - I volunteer in a shop, all the others (all women for some reason) are nice but they're about 50+
    I was going to suggest a library, quite a good place to meet likeminded people.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean about your job - I volunteer in a shop, all the others (all women for some reason) are nice but they're about 50+
    I was going to suggest a library, quite a good place to meet likeminded people.
    Yeah I think I can meet a couple new people at my job, but my Mum also works there (awks) haha! She says there are a couple similar aged people so have to wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I can meet a couple new people at my job, but my Mum also works there (awks) haha! She says there are a couple similar aged people so have to wait and see!
    If you were talking to a girl you liked I'd imagine your mum being there would be pretty off-putting Oh well, you never know who you'll meet! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If you were talking to a girl you liked I'd imagine your mum being there would be pretty off-putting Oh well, you never know who you'll meet! Good luck
    I know it'd be pretty bad aha, but there are a couple of times when I'll be there and she won't :P There is this girl I was speaking to before my interview who was nice so we'll wait and see!

Thanks!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.