Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Well to cut a long story short, I usually receive a maintenance loan of around £2,500 and no grant whatsoever. However, after filling in my form the same as I have done for the past 2 years, student finance are now giving me a £3,000 grant and £2,000 loan. Neither mine or my parents circumstances have changed, financially or in any other way. I am still under 25 so considered dependent if I'm living at home.

I have rang student finance on 2 separate occasions now. The first person just couldn't comprehend why I was complaining about having a grant and the second understood completely. He said himself that my parents incomes (which he had right in front of him) excluded me from any sort of grant. So he sent me a form to complete and return to them and said the grant should be cancelled out. When I received the form, it had NOTHING about my parents incomes on the form. I still filled it in, waiting another 2 weeks for it to process and still I am receiving the wrong amount of money..

I am going to go insane. Student finance have completely messed up and nobody is helping me out at all. I'm sick of paying over £5 a phone call to speak to someone who has no real solution to my problem. I'll happily keep that £3,000 grant but I'm sure they'll have no problems finding an upfront payment plan when they realise what they've done wrong!

ReputationRep:
    this seems mad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (Tom))
    this seems mad!
    I know! You'd think alarm bells would be ringing!

ReputationRep:
    they obviously have too much money...
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Sorry that you are feeling frustrated with the assessment of your application.

To award any grant to a student, our assessors require very specific information/evidence to allow this to be assessed. It would be best if you have your parents check their online accounts and the information they submitted to us (if you applied based on household income). This would confirm whether the income figures are correct or not.

If you require further assistance, you would need to call us again as we are currently unable to access accounts via social media.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi there,

Sorry that you are feeling frustrated with the assessment of your application.

To award any grant to a student, our assessors require very specific information/evidence to allow this to be assessed. It would be best if you have your parents check their online accounts and the information they submitted to us (if you applied based on household income). This would confirm whether the income figures are correct or not.

If you require further assistance, you would need to call us again as we are currently unable to access accounts via social media.

Thanks,
    Okay, thank you, yeah I'll have to ring up tomorrow. The person I spoke to on the phone quoted the wages my parents had stated in my application form (because I apply via post) and said that I am way off being eligible for a grant. So I don't see why it wasn't sorted if they had the information right in front of them :')

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.