Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing with, what appears to be, an overly confident and bright peron Watch

ReputationRep:
    I met this particular person that seems to be very bright and confident, to the point that when we do work together, his work performance intimidates me : /

However, today I found out that whatever he knows is actually rather limited; it seems that the way he does his works makes it seems that he knows so much, but in actual fact, he knows no more than I do.

Unfortunately, I still feel that he outperforms me in our daily work routine, and it has somehow impacted my confidence with my work. It shouldn't since I know now that it's just a matter of the way he does his works, or the way he presents himself that makes him looked rather smart, but I still feel rather insecure about it.

How should I get pass this and to not feel so intimidated or useless most of the time : /

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    How is he doing his work that makes him look better? Purely faster or just the way he talks? Unfortunately bull****ters and arrogant people normally do well in the work place. You just have to watch the TV show The Apprentice to see that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    How is he doing his work that makes him look better? Purely faster or just the way he talks? Unfortunately bull****ters and arrogant people normally do well in the work place. You just have to watch the TV show The Apprentice to see that.
    He's kinda fast, but I think he gets his energy from his other mate who he seems to do a lot of work with. I say this because whenever I do work with a good competent mate of mine, I'd tend to do things faster since I could at least talk with someone and articulate myself better. At the moment, I could only do work alone in the office since I'm still new there.

Unfortunately, doing things slower wouldn't look too good for me since it makes it seemed that I'm slower than I actually am : /

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say. I on purposely choose jobs where I am not compared or in competition or really have to communicate so I can browse the internet all day. I am terribly unproductive, this is what I have learnt from doing previous jobs where I can compare myself with other people.

Your best bet is just to stick it out and you will improve.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.