Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend used to be really happy with herself and her body, but recently she's been telling me of this tumblr dedicated to thigh gaps that she's been following and of how the girls on there are gorgeous etc.

I'm actually really worried about the effect of the millions of pictures they see everyday on tumblr are having on her - and many of my other female friends too. It's also making me uncomfortable because whenever I wear skirts or skinny jeans, she'll point at my thighs and ask me about my 'thigh gap' and how I got it. I just want to shake her and tell her to snap out of it. But I've tried talking to her and she just rolls her eyes and directs me to another one of her thinspo (or something) blogs she follows.

I'm sick to death of it, tbh. She won't go out to eat with me casually or anything, and won't eat at all during school hours. She'll have water and an apple? Any idea on how to get her to actually listen for once?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Show her pictures of girls/models that are beautiful and don't have thigh gaps?

ReputationRep:
    Tumblr people's obsession over thigh gaps is the most ridiculous thing ever. My little sister has tumblr and she's been going on about how she's dieting because she wants one and she said she's jealous :confused: of mine. (she's only 14!!) It's really sad and worrying. Some people are naturally skinny like me and that's ok but when young girls go out of their way starving themselves to get a 'perfect' body it's really upsetting. Luckily my sister got over it (I think). I think it's just a silly trend and hopefully just a 'phase' for your friend like it was with my sister. As long as she's eating something (water and apple are better than nothing) it's fine. Maybe try and get her to go out more so she doesn't spend so much time on tumblr? Or next time she 'admires' your thigh gap say that you don't actually like yours and wouldn't mind putting on some weight. When will girls understand that being stick thin is not attractive??

ReputationRep:
    The crazy thing is even some skinny girls can't ever achieve them. The simple fact is if you have narrow hips (so your legs are closer together) then you can't get a thigh gap. That's biology baby.

maybe point out that "thigh gaps" are a bizarre fashion that sprung out of nowhere. Also most people in "thigh gap" pictures are using the secret arts of "standing with their feet apart and cropping it" and "flexing their legs" to create a gap.

A healthy weight is one where you don't feel hungry except at meal times and after eating you feel full. Whatever that size is for you that's great and you should learn to love your body how it was made.

Her behaviour about food suggests disordered eating. I think you should suggest she sees a doctor if you're worried.

ReputationRep:
    The sooner this phase ends the better imo. There are too many half-starved girls knocking about who are so undernourished they look brittle - as if a gentle breeze may snap them.

It's a ridiculous fashion ideal.

No offense to those with thigh gaps.

But please do yourself a favour and buy yourself a pie.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 16 year old boy, who could be labelled a "fitness freak". I personally think thigh gaps are ridiculous, as well as not being attractive

ReputationRep:
    Men don't care about them. Most women don't care. A small number of women are paranoid about them.

ReputationRep:
    I think on certain girls it looks good, but only if they naturally have it. Most Tumblr girls with thigh gaps just starve themselves until the muscle wastes away to get the thigh gap. Then they have a body like a 10 year old, no boobs no bum, skinny little legs which no one is going to admire anyway.

Its far healthier to go about getting a nice bum than a thigh gap, and as a guy most guys definitely prefer dat ass to a thigh gap. As above I only noticed it since visiting Tumblr, and I've never noted a girl having or not having one when checking her out.

ReputationRep:
    I have a thigh gap and I'm a man, I'm pretty sure all it means is I have skinny legs and bony hips! They're certainly not particularly attractive or unattractive for that matter, Girls clamouring for them is unattractive though, it's sometimes genetically impossible proposition and obsession is an unattractive thing as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I never could understand what the obsession with thigh gaps was when I stumbled across the part of tumblr obsessed with losing weight. It's such an arbitrary thing that isn't even possible for many women without starving themselves to the point of malnourishment and muscle wastage
    I have a small gap, but that isn't because I'm super skinny. I'm 5,5 and weigh somewhere between 9 stone and 9.5 stone - I just have a wide pelvis!

ReputationRep:
    I thought thigh gaps were more to do with your bone structure, like how wide your hips were or something so your legs are further apart, making it more likely you have a gap in between? I don't think dieting and exercising is the way to get one, you either have one or you don't, and it sounds like quite an unhealthy obsession. I didn't realise people paid so much attention to looking at people's legs.

I think you need to try and persuade her to use Tumblr less and that it's a fad that will soon disappear, it's not worth risking her health over to try to achieve if she's not eating properly. There are models that are very attractive who don't have a thigh gap, maybe you could show her photos of them so she can see there is no definition of beauty.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the advice, I'll definitely try some of the stuff ^^ I really hope it's just a phase and will pass soon, even it her obsession seems to be getting strong day by day...

ReputationRep:
    Gaps are to do with fitness, not being skinny.

For a guy to have the kind of body that women lust for is much harder than visa versa because it requires years of weight training and strict diet, it's very expensive and time consuming.

Any woman can have a gap, I think it's unfair for women to complain that there's now an interest in a feature that genuinely requires lots of effort. Dieting to achieve ideal physique is just as important for men.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes people don't have it dependent on their bone structure. I was underweight and I still didn't have it.

ReputationRep:
    This is like the collar bones thing - some people have them and some don't.

If you stand with your legs far apart enough, you'll have a thigh gap

xx

ReputationRep:
    Thigh gaps where there's a massive space between your legs are usually due to wide hips... Girls who starve to get one generally look terrible in my opinion. The only thigh gap I like is the little triangle between a woman's bum and the top of her thighs...

Name:  tumblr_mie1cwv8ux1r6nu1go1_500.jpg
Views: 459674
Size:  18.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Thigh Gaps are seriously over-rated. Like someone said, for some people it is impossible to obtain a thigh gap due to their bone structure. Talk to her about the health implications of not having a balanced diet. Why don't you comment on how good she looks already, and that she doesn't need to make drastic changes to try and achieve something she may not actually be able to have.

ReputationRep:
    I hate this obsession with thigh gaps! Why would you want to look that skinny, I mean your legs look like sticks! If i was a guy, i would find it off putting, they look breakable haha.
    Seriously though, I'm jealous of curvy girls who have an ass and a tiny waist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia-Babe)
    I hate this obsession with thigh gaps! Why would you want to look that skinny, I mean your legs look like sticks! If i was a guy, i would find it off putting, they look breakable haha.
    Seriously though, I'm jealous of curvy girls who have an ass and a tiny waist.
    That is not the problem

It is that they have flat chests and flat bottom like a man

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.