Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is ignoring it the worst way to deal with bullying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am sick of people telling those being bullied to "ignore it". That's the worst advice ever, surely?!

Running away or fighting back is better than ignoring it. You will never ever win if you ignore being bullied.

Once you have been selected as the victim, you have lost anyway (in the workplace), so you may as well go down fighting rather than "ignore it".

What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Bullying happens when ****s hits the fan already.. One of my bro pals was in the special forces, time went by, he retired, was once at a bar just chilling, douches come up start bull****ting, name calling. He had to go out of that place, if he hadn't, right now he would be eating bread and water and in rotten cell. Sometimes its best not to be involved at all. And as 1 self defense trainer Krav maga said about car fights because of the bloody driving = one ends in prison, one ends in the morgue.

However if your family is on the line, different topic. I am sure you know the answer.

Have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    The more attention you pay, the more hungry the bully becomes, so ignoring actually does help in certain situations. If you feel being bullied at workplace, why don't you report this?

ReputationRep:
    I would say actually killing the bully would be the worst way.

ReputationRep:
    Satirical humour putting the 'bully' under scrutiny is probably the ultimate form of dealing with them. They feed of the reaction they get from their peers to their behaviour, often looking for laughs. If you can steal that from them then they will immediately cease to continue.

However, if there is multiple of them working in coheres the trick is to swing for the big one and commit to it, put him on his arse and laugh at his expense in a more literal and straightforward manner as opposed to sarcastic and ironically.

If it's multiple females, especially if you're a guy, then you're simply f***ed and will need to move towns. Those b****es are vicious, like a pack of spotted hyenas that come across an unaccompanied and defenceless male cub lion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    The more attention you pay, the more hungry the bully becomes, so ignoring actually does help in certain situations. If you feel being bullied at workplace, why don't you report this?
    The management is part of the bullying problem. They side the with the bullies, citing a lack of evidence that it actually occurs.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much ignoring but realising it can't hurt you.

ReputationRep:
    This looks like a nice anti-bullying move :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    The management is part of the bullying problem. They side the with the bullies, citing a lack of evidence that it actually occurs.
    In what ways do they bully you? Psychologically or physically?

ReputationRep:
    I think when people say 'ignore it' they mean if bullies see that they have no effect on you, they may lose interest.
    In cases I've seen and stuff that's happened with me personally, ignoring them doesn't work! sometimes you have to be the enemy to defeat the enemy- If someone's pushing you down you need to speak out and stop them, not ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    I would get verbal taunts from this bully for about 3 years i.e. she would make fun of everything I do, the way I speak, the way I look, etc. Ignoring her or me shrugging it off never seemed to deter her.

One day, I stood up to her when she was alone and there was no one to back her up.

I just lost it and told her everything I had kept inside i.e. the pain, resentment and anger... how she was mean and cruel to me. I was usually the calm and docile one so my harsh words shocked her so much that she couldn't speak for a minute.

Basically, "shutting up" the bully worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    I would get verbal taunts from this bully for about 3 years i.e. she would make fun of everything I do, the way I speak, the way I look, etc. Ignoring her or me shrugging it off never seemed to deter her.

One day, I stood up to her when she was alone and there was no one to back her up.

I just lost it and told her everything I had kept inside i.e. the pain, resentment and anger... how she was mean and cruel to me. I was usually the calm and docile one so my harsh words shocked her so much that she couldn't speak for a minute.

Basically, "shutting up" the bully worked for me.
    I'm so proud of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outtacontrool)
    I'm so proud of you
    Thank you. I hope that my example would inspire someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    In what ways do they bully you? Psychologically or physically?
    Psychologically. Isolation, character defamation. Everything I do is weird, everything I say is wrong or stupid etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Psychologically. Isolation, character defamation. Everything I do is weird, everything I say is wrong or stupid etc
    Have you tried to look for a place somewhere else because it seems that this place is damaging you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.