Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Trying to prepare for the worst and I'm interested in the kind of questions they'll be asking me.

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name, UCAS ID number, Clearing number, what course you're interested in, what grades you have, they may ask why that course/university...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...have-no-offers
    check out that link (and the video!)

ReputationRep:
    I worked on them last year,
    Name, UCAS ID, Clearing number (make sure you have that on hand), subject, whether you're holding an offer, also your grades some Universities have strict grading so there is no point in begging with them if they say no.
    Then after you've given that you'll be transferred over to someone who'll fill in a clearing form for you (ask your address, school, a-levels etc. and just general personal details)

ReputationRep:
    When they ask why this uni.. what are you supposed to say? I think saying "because this uni is the best out of everything in clearing" is bit too childish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proflash)
    When they ask why this uni.. what are you supposed to say? I think saying "because this uni is the best out of everything in clearing" is bit too childish
    Research the uni and mention its good points lol that's what I'm planning on doing. Like, "the percentages for employment after graduation is higher than others I've seen, 3rd/4th/whatever place for student satisfaction" etc...just try to sound really impressed with the university...but don't just list them all lol
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaSmith)
    Trying to prepare for the worst and I'm interested in the kind of questions they'll be asking me.

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!
    Hi Gemma,

If you called us we'd ask you the following questions:

Your UCAS ID number - make sure you have this to hand as we can't speak to you without it. It starts with a 1.
    Your clearing number
    Your name

Your contact phone number
    Your email address - make sure this is correct as this is what we'd email you on with further details if we gave you an offer.

Then we'd also want to know which subject area you were interested in studying with us and also the grades/subjects that you've achieved in your A levels. Some of our courses have GCSE requirements, so we might ask for those too. If the university has a large number of courses for English, for example, it'd be really helpful if you knew the UCAS course codes of the ones that you were interested in studying. Don't worry if you don't know though, the person taking your call will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    referring to people said above, they will ask whether you are holding an offer. What answer do they prefer?
    I can say yes or no, because I will still need GCSE result to meet my offer. Should I make something up to impress them?
    I hope someone can understand....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by incorrect1993)
    referring to people said above, they will ask whether you are holding an offer. What answer do they prefer?
    I can say yes or no, because I will still need GCSE result to meet my offer. Should I make something up to impress them?
    I hope someone can understand....
    You should tell the truth: yes you are, then explain how come you're phoning around Clearing anyway (I take it it's to see if a different university isn't worried about the GCSE result...?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hi Gemma,

If you called us we'd ask you the following questions:

Your UCAS ID number - make sure you have this to hand as we can't speak to you without it. It starts with a 1.
    Your clearing number
    Your name

Your contact phone number
    Your email address - make sure this is correct as this is what we'd email you on with further details if we gave you an offer.

Then we'd also want to know which subject area you were interested in studying with us and also the grades/subjects that you've achieved in your A levels. Some of our courses have GCSE requirements, so we might ask for those too. If the university has a large number of courses for English, for example, it'd be really helpful if you knew the UCAS course codes of the ones that you were interested in studying. Don't worry if you don't know though, the person taking your call will be able to help you out.

Good luck!
    Great, thank you!!

What kind of questions would the department I'm interested in ask?

Things such as why I want to study this course I'm guessing? Or do people usually not get forwarded to them?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible they will want to know what is written on your personal statement? Or hear your references? I am worried as I do not know where these are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sierra*)
    Is it possible they will want to know what is written on your personal statement? Or hear your references? I am worried as I do not know where these are!
    They have access to that so no, they'll probably take your details and then contact you later on in the day informing you of their decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan_95)
    They have access to that so no, they'll probably take your details and then contact you later on in the day informing you of their decision
    Ohhh right yes of course that would be the point of the UCAS ID number... thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaSmith)
    Great, thank you!!

What kind of questions would the department I'm interested in ask?

Things such as why I want to study this course I'm guessing? Or do people usually not get forwarded to them?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Gemma,

Your call may not be taken by someone from the department but you'd have the opportunity to be put through to someone from your subject after speaking to someone from our clearing team. Not everyobe does want to but with us, the option is there if you want it.

ReputationRep:
    Just woke up to an email from UWE telling me I have an unconditional place! Couldn't be happier !

Now to call school and go back to sleep!

I hope you all get what you'd hoped for!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.