Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How should society treat paedophiles? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Now, paedophiles and child abusers are not the same thing. People who abuse children deserve to be punished, but paedophilia is something that cannot be helped. I'm sure there are plenty of closeted paedophiles who would never abuse children, and seek treatment, but there is of course no cure.
    If one of these people were to open up and say that they are a paedophile, how would you treat them because of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToLiveInADream)
    Troll.
    Matty makes an interesting point, as the definition of pedophilia is 'sexual feelings towards children', this could just mean those feelings exist, but they don't intend to act upon them; they'd still quickly be shunned.

ReputationRep:
    Many people hold horrible beliefs. That homosexuality is wrong and even deserves death or can't marry. Some are racist and believe blacks and whites shouldn't marry.

We tolerate these people's views. Why not people being attracted to children?

Surely it should be tolerated all the more as sexual preference is far harder to control than being racist or bigoted.

Obviously we should try and convince them otherwise and harshly punish actually acting on their feelings of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattylong28)
    Care to explain why?
    I genuinely didn't believe you were being serious. Maybe it's terrible of me because I'd instantly close off a relationship with someone with those tendencies, instead of trying to talk to them about it, but I have had issues with pedophiles in the past and trying to talk to one would be really, really ​hard for me.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely didn't believe you were being serious. Maybe it's terrible of me because I'd instantly close off a relationship with someone with those tendencies, instead of trying to talk to them about it, but I have had issues with pedophiles in the past and trying to talk to one would be really, really ​hard for me.
    Fair enough. It is a bit of a wild thread starter.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. It is a bit of a wild thread starter.
    Yeah. But anyway, if you actually are attracted to children, maybe you should talk to someone you trust and get all the pent-up feelings in you out? Vent. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Now, paedophiles and child abusers are not the same thing. People who abuse children deserve to be punished, but paedophilia is something that cannot be helped. I'm sure there are plenty of closeted paedophiles who would never abuse children, and seek treatment, but there is of course no cure.
    If one of these people were to open up and say that they are a paedophile, how would you treat them because of it?
    Put them in prison for life.

ReputationRep:
    Unfavourably

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that the distinction between holding paedophilic views and acting upon them is hugely significant. Simply holding a view without acting on it harms nobody and so there's no reason why anybody should be punished for it. Obviously if a paedophile actually does abuse a child then that's unacceptable, but that's a whole other story.

If someone is brave enough to come out and admit to having paedophilic tendencies then I'd say they should be offered psychiatry/counselling. Not necessarily to 'correct' their views (since I personally believe that a person's sexual tendencies aren't a choice but are inherent, and so there's not much a person can do if their hormones dictate that they should find kids attractive), but to help them to suppress any temptation and come to terms with their situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. But anyway, if you actually are attracted to children, maybe you should talk to someone you trust and get all the pent-up feelings in you out? Vent. Good luck
    I'm not don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephen857)
    Put them in prison for life.
    Because of something they cannot help. That's barbaric.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP, just like the guy on the 'Extreme OCD camp' who had violent thoughts to push that girl in front of her off a cliff :eek:, it's not as if he was ever going to act upon it.

ReputationRep:
    Badly?

ReputationRep:
    If you had young children, and somehow you knew that a paedophile was lusting over them, how would that make you feel? Puts it into perspective. I'd treat them the same way as people who have thoughts about murder, rape, terrorism, etc....with no respect at all.

ReputationRep:
    Adult women should raise their game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatstudentdude)
    If you had young children, and somehow you knew that a paedophile was lusting over them, how would that make you feel? Puts it into perspective. I'd treat them the same way as people who have thoughts about murder, rape, terrorism, etc....with no respect at all.
    Wouldnt it be better instead to just offer up your wife as a concession thereby helping society and setting the paedophile on the path to recovery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Stoic)
    Many people hold horrible beliefs. That homosexuality is wrong and even deserves death or can't marry. Some are racist and believe blacks and whites shouldn't marry.

We tolerate these people's views. Why not people being attracted to children?

Surely it should be tolerated all the more as sexual preference is far harder to control than being racist or bigoted.

Obviously we should try and convince them otherwise and harshly punish actually acting on their feelings of course.
    That's not true, in the UK people have gone to prison for just saying mildly racist things whereas I've never heard of a case of a paedophile going to prison just for saying something inappropriate about or to children, only if they act physically. Also, people often get longer sentences for racially motivated 'hate crimes' than paedophiles so this suggests that racism is considered worse in the eyes of the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curtis Loew)
    That's not true, in the UK people have gone to prison for just saying mildly racist things whereas I've never heard of a case of a paedophile going to prison just for saying something inappropriate about or to children, only if they act physically. Also, people often get longer sentences for racially motivated 'hate crimes' than paedophiles so this suggests that racism is considered worse in the eyes of the law.
    Saying racist things or saying racist things to other people? You can sit in your house and say the n word to yourself as much as you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Hicks)
    Wouldnt it be better instead to just offer up your wife as a concession thereby helping society and setting the paedophile on the path to recovery?
    I really, really hope you're being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they're not acting out on it, I have no problem with them fantasising about whatever they want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.