Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone out there doing civil engineering ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm currently studying at Edinburgh college for my HND Civil Engineering and will be hopefully be coming to Napier in 3rd year to continue with my degree. How are you finding it so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookiee78)
    Hey I'm currently studying at Edinburgh college for my HND Civil Engineering and will be hopefully be coming to Napier in 3rd year to continue with my degree. How are you finding it so far?
    hey Wookie,
    I have considered Civil Eng. HND as an option so far, may i know how well you're fairing with the HND? I hear it's totally assignment based and no exams. True?
    How are the Assignments? Is it possible to get an overall Distinction profile with some kind of effort, since i'm working as well..
    How is the math? Is it like TOUGH calculus?
    Could you mail me the toughest assignment you've done so far if possible? i really need some help.

ReputationRep:
    I've studied for the past 3 years at Napier, MEng Civil Engineering.
    You have coursework and exams.
    The course has 3 modules per semester of 20 credits each with a lot of information condensed (some of them are basically 2 modules in 1).
    You will feel the difference from one year to another when it comes to workload and difficulty of information (which happens to every course usually).

Toughest exams will be in Structural Design to Eurocodes and Structural Analysis in year 3 (it's one module called Structural Engineering 1 divided in to Design and Analysis - design exam is in the middle of the semester and the analysis at the end).

Calculus you need for civil engineering is easy.

You will not go for many hours at uni (probably between 15 and 20 hours) for face to face lectures/tutorials/labs, reason why Napier puts a lot of accent on self study (reason why modules are condensed) and wants you to participate in to as many extra-curricular activities as possible (part time work, voluntary work, societies).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.