Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does some money have writing on? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood this! Why not use paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well I know a guy who writes "Not For Alcohol" every time he gives his daughter a tenner, it's a bit of a running gag, but it probably is annoying when that note gets passed around and ends up in the pocket of someone who really does want to buy alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    Haha, well I know a guy who writes "Not For Alcohol" every time he gives his daughter a tenner, it's a bit of a running gag, but it probably is annoying when that note gets passed around and ends up in the pocket of someone who really does want to buy alcohol.
    Haha! That's funny

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, whoever keeps writing random fractions on notes should stop

ReputationRep:
    I remember asking my mum this years ago. Apprently people do it to see if the same note returns to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I always thought the random fractions were from gamblers noting down the odds on various horses / dogs / footie teams

ReputationRep:
    Never noticed, but I think I'll start now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know!

Someone brave and very comfortable with money... Who just doesn't have the god damn time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    I always thought the random fractions were from gamblers noting down the odds on various horses / dogs / footie teams
    Think we've got a winner

ReputationRep:
    Or drug dealers who package their notes into different piles, then wrap it with a note stating how much is in the pile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Or drug dealers who package their notes into different piles, then wrap it with a note stating how much is in the pile?
    Or church fates that do the same...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    420 on it means that someone bought weed with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Where I used to work, when cashing up at the end of the day money would be put into stacks of a thousand pounds. Obviously you would never (or rarely) have perfect stacks of a thousand, so you may have 42 ten pound notes make 420 left over, so people would write the number on so they know how much is in that pile of cash for when they put it in a bag and bank it.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of shop staff write or scribble on money to see if it's fake.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine withdrew a certain 'Hang IRA scum' from an ATM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Or church fates that do the same...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're a much better person than me.

ReputationRep:
    I assume when they count it they write how much it is. It is usually numbers and a multiple of 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername)
    A lot of shop staff write or scribble on money to see if it's fake.
    Thats with a special pen if its real money the ink disappears.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Thats with a special pen if its real money the ink disappears.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've seen people do it with normal pens too- I know it doesn't work but in a shop I used to work in, till staff did it if they couldn't find the proper pen (probably just to make it look like they were doing things properly if a manager was hovering about )

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it was the banks. I dont know when or how I got this idea though

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.