The Student Room Group

Question about university offers

So i've applied to study Psychology at Leeds Uni and they made me an offer for AAB, and it seems likely that i'll get those grades. However when applying for universities at the end of last year, i put my insurance as Hull uni who only want BBC.

If i was to achieve grades like ABB, and get rejected by my firm, does that mean that i'll still have to go to my insurance (despite having got much higher grades) or will i be eligible for any clearing places etc.?
Original post by MrJustJ0sh
So i've applied to study Psychology at Leeds Uni and they made me an offer for AAB, and it seems likely that i'll get those grades. However when applying for universities at the end of last year, i put my insurance as Hull uni who only want BBC.

If i was to achieve grades like ABB, and get rejected by my firm, does that mean that i'll still have to go to my insurance (despite having got much higher grades) or will i be eligible for any clearing places etc.?

Unless you ask your insurance to reject you tomorrow (and it can take from a few hours to a week for them to do that) you will not be eligible to enter clearing.
Reply 2
Damn, looks like i've messed up then aha
Damn, looks like i've messed up then aha

Well, you must have liked your insurance when you chose it. Time to rekindle the love affair?
Reply 4
Yeah i did like it, but in the application stage it seemed like my more realistic choice as opposed to the Russell group uni's, although i improved significantly academically since then, so now i'm not so sure i'd still be happy going to my insurance!
Yeah i did like it, but in the application stage it seemed like my more realistic choice as opposed to the Russell group uni's, although i improved significantly academically since then, so now i'm not so sure i'd still be happy going to my insurance!

One of my colleagues went to Hull and never shuts up about its magnificence. It's a very respectable place.
Reply 6
I have read elsewhere that you are not supposed to speak to any universities about clearing until you have a clearing number, but that is not to say they will refuse to talk to you, especially if you have achieved grades like ABB; so it could be worth just ringing around and quickly asking if they would be interested, giving you an idea of whether it would be worth it to drop your insurance and go into clearing! You are better off doing this than ending up at a university/course you don't want to be at. What other universities are you looking at for Psychology?
Original post by *Sierra*
I have read elsewhere that you are not supposed to speak to any universities about clearing until you have a clearing number, but that is not to say they will refuse to talk to you, especially if you have achieved grades like ABB; so it could be worth just ringing around and quickly asking if they would be interested, giving you an idea of whether it would be worth it to drop your insurance and go into clearing! You are better off doing this than ending up at a university/course you don't want to be at. What other universities are you looking at for Psychology?

There are problems with doing this- it can be a very risky strategy. Universities don't have to talk to you if you don't have a clearing number, although some may do. However, in order to accept a clearing offer, you would need your insurance choice to release you- this can only take a few hours, but it may take a few days. The problem is, the university who has given you a clearing offer will only hold that offer for 24-48 hours, so you may miss your window to accept it.

It's only worth following this strategy if you would rather take a gap year than go to Hull.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending