Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap Year to gain work experience in media field Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I am considering on taking a gap year. For me, it is a brave decision to make and I am not completely 100% sure if this is what I want to do but I've definitely been playing with the idea. Uni has always seemed like a massive deal to me and I've done so much preparation for it that it seems strange that I've kind of decided to take a gap year but basically, weirdly I don't feel ready to go straight to Uni. I would like to pursue journalism and was wondering if it would be an idea to take that time in my gap year to gain experience and how I would go about doing it? I was thinking getting any work experience that I can in newspapers/magazines. Are there any good programmes for that? I would also have to think about living costs and whether taking up a job whether part time or full time, working to gain some money and then doing work experience here and there or take on paid work experience? But it seems like it would be quite hard to obtain. And I know many people take the gap year time to go travelling which is something I'm also interested in. However, what are people's opinions? Do you think taking a gap year will enhance my chances in becoming a journalist after my Uni studies? I am planning to study English at degree level. Would it be unnecessary, waste of time, difficult? I have no idea how to go about making a better informed decision so any advice is much appreciated! I should also mention that I would defer my application, just so that I have the security of a place after my gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcao03)
    So I am considering on taking a gap year. For me, it is a brave decision to make and I am not completely 100% sure if this is what I want to do but I've definitely been playing with the idea. Uni has always seemed like a massive deal to me and I've done so much preparation for it that it seems strange that I've kind of decided to take a gap year but basically, weirdly I don't feel ready to go straight to Uni. I would like to pursue journalism and was wondering if it would be an idea to take that time in my gap year to gain experience and how I would go about doing it? I was thinking getting any work experience that I can in newspapers/magazines. Are there any good programmes for that? I would also have to think about living costs and whether taking up a job whether part time or full time, working to gain some money and then doing work experience here and there or take on paid work experience? But it seems like it would be quite hard to obtain. And I know many people take the gap year time to go travelling which is something I'm also interested in. However, what are people's opinions? Do you think taking a gap year will enhance my chances in becoming a journalist after my Uni studies? I am planning to study English at degree level. Would it be unnecessary, waste of time, difficult? I have no idea how to go about making a better informed decision so any advice is much appreciated! I should also mention that I would defer my application, just so that I have the security of a place after my gap year.
    In my opinion unless you have a set plan on what you would do in a gap year, I think you should go straight to uni. If you apply yourself and work hard then you will easily be able to do work experience alongside your degree, meaning you can gain stuff on your CV rather than finishing uni and having a potentially blank year on your CV.

If you really don't feel ready for uni (bear in mind lots of people feel like this then as soon as they get there they settle right into it) then it's totally fair to do a gap year, as long as you do something valuable during it.

That's my opinion!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.