Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I will be applying this fall to LSE (I am from Romania) for Economics. I will also apply to other Economics courses at other different universities (Warwick, Exeter), to Economics and Business with East European Studies and to Economics and Management at Oxford.

I need your help regarding the following questions:

1. This is the most important question of all. How did you write your personal statement? Who helped you? In Romania, we have consultants or university advisers but they aren't to good, especially when it comes to applying to prestigious universities such as Warwick.
    Would you recommend your Economics teacher or anyone who has helped you? I would be open to pay him/her and receive help via mail/skype. Furthermore, from the 17th to the 25th I will be in London.
    I also know of the TSR PS helper but I am looking for someone who would advise me what to mention in my statement, what books to read, etc.

2. To what extent could I mention Management in my PS in order to get an interview at Oxford and still have good chances at LSE?

3. What do you think about the courses I want to apply to?
    Furthermore, what other courses have you applied to?

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    1) I guess I was lucky enough to have a great careers advisor and a great economics teacher, both helped me to improve my personal statement, I had about 12 drafts (which I have to admit was a bit excessive). In the first paragraph I gave a brief explanation as to why I want to study economics - this part has to be genuine and original, it's okay to borrow ideas from other people but always put your own twist on it. The next few paragraphs should talk about any significant books/articles/debates that you found interesting and you must explain why you found them interesting and what you've been learning. The people reading your ps aren't concerned with how many books you've read or how much you know, they just want to know that you have an interest in the subject and that the things you are reading are helping you to look at economics from different points of view. It also helps to express that you enjoy maths and you should talk about any significant achievements you've had as far as maths goes. Be concise and keep it interesting, have academics read it and ask them if they got bored or if they think you should phrase things differently. Books on or by Milton Friedman would be helpful as the economics department at LSE seem to like his work.

2) I also applied to Oxford for E and M, and I got an interview but was later rejected. I don't think it's necessary to mention management outright, but what you can do is if you get the interview offer from Oxford, do research into the management side of their course and use that to prepare for the interview. LSE ended up giving me an offer, but I don't know if they would have rejected me for mentioning management.

3) I only applied for economics and with Oxford I applied for economics and management.
    Personally I think applying to the same course throughout helps to keep your personal statement more focused and concise and not too 'all over the place', but if you think it's a good idea then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamran589)
    1) I guess I was lucky enough to have a great careers advisor and a great economics teacher, both helped me to improve my personal statement, I had about 12 drafts (which I have to admit was a bit excessive). In the first paragraph I gave a brief explanation as to why I want to study economics - this part has to be genuine and original, it's okay to borrow ideas from other people but always put your own twist on it. The next few paragraphs should talk about any significant books/articles/debates that you found interesting and you must explain why you found them interesting and what you've been learning. The people reading your ps aren't concerned with how many books you've read or how much you know, they just want to know that you have an interest in the subject and that the things you are reading are helping you to look at economics from different points of view. It also helps to express that you enjoy maths and you should talk about any significant achievements you've had as far as maths goes. Be concise and keep it interesting, have academics read it and ask them if they got bored or if they think you should phrase things differently. Books on or by Milton Friedman would be helpful as the economics department at LSE seem to like his work.

2) I also applied to Oxford for E and M, and I got an interview but was later rejected. I don't think it's necessary to mention management outright, but what you can do is if you get the interview offer from Oxford, do research into the management side of their course and use that to prepare for the interview. LSE ended up giving me an offer, but I don't know if they would have rejected me for mentioning management.

3) I only applied for economics and with Oxford I applied for economics and management.
    Personally I think applying to the same course throughout helps to keep your personal statement more focused and concise and not too 'all over the place', but if you think it's a good idea then go for it.

This is such a helpful post! Thank you so much for your help mate! I sent you a PM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamran589)

I am thinking Oxford E&M as well! I would like to know your AL results and which college you were applying for.
    And yeah there isn't another course like E&M so it's hard to mention management in the personal statement.. How did you manage to get the PS done in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...tement_Library

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marthawyt)
    I am thinking Oxford E&M as well! I would like to know your AL results and which college you were applying for.
    And yeah there isn't another course like E&M so it's hard to mention management in the personal statement.. How did you manage to get the PS done in this situation?
    What are AL results? I applied to Pembroke college which is a fairly nice place but st edmund's was nicer. I didn't mention management in my personal statement at all, I was worried it would damage my chances at the 4 other unis I was applying to (all economics). Luckily this move paid off and LSE gave me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help guys!

ReputationRep:
    Bump this up!

A critical appreciation of the subject is the difference that makes the difference. It means writing the personal statement as if you're already there. It means sprinkling your writing with analysis, and hinting at a point of view still in forming. Demonstrate interest through proof, not description.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sports Racer)
      A critical appreciation of the subject is the difference that makes the difference. It means writing the personal statement as if you're already there. It means sprinkling your writing with analysis, and hinting at a point of view still in forming. Demonstrate interest through proof, not description.

Wow, that was such useful insight. Thank you!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.