Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does one become a Police Officer? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How does one actually become a Police Officer? I'm vaguely aware of an apparent freeze on recruitment of new officers due to cuts and what not, but still, it would be nice to know. If you can help, assume that I'm a rookie and know nothing about the recruiting process (well I know a little, but regardless).

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is going through the process of it at the moment. She joined the Specials to get experience, and then they introduced a university course in policing (and a requirement of entry was that you are, or will be, a Special during this time). She's going to that this year. This will enable her to join as a regular officer within a couple of years of leaving that.

So yeah, I believe the national approach is moving towards people having a degree in policing first. It would be best to contact your constabulary and ask them what their plans are for recruitment and if this is the case for them as well.

The Specials would be a good place to start. It won't guarantee access to the "regular" position, but it will make you a better applicant as you will require less training and will be better prepared for the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    A friend of mine is going through the process of it at the moment. She joined the Specials to get experience, and then they introduced a university course in policing (and a requirement of entry was that you are, or will be, a Special during this time). She's going to that this year. This will enable her to join as a regular officer within a couple of years of leaving that.

So yeah, I believe the national approach is moving towards people having a degree in policing first. It would be best to contact your constabulary and ask them what their plans are for recruitment and if this is the case for them as well.

The Specials would be a good place to start. It won't guarantee access to the "regular" position, but it will make you a better applicant as you will require less training and will be better prepared for the job.
    Does one still have to go through fitness/ medical tests to join the specials or is that only for when applying to become the real deal? And thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ornlu)
    Does one still have to go through fitness/ medical tests to join the specials or is that only for when applying to become the real deal? And thanks for the info
    You will have to go through the fitness check and medical, yes. At least in our constabulary, they have recently changed the test from a bleep test to an obstacle course (or they may do both). You'll also get your medical background checked, but I've heard that it's not too bad.

Edit: There are also various push/pull tests to make sure you have the power to restrain properly. If you fail one area, but are better in others, they should let you retry it at a later date.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoodrat)
    **** the feds man
    I never get why British people say the feds.

It descends from Federal bureau of Investigation, of the FBI and criminals hating them.

It hardly descended from Greater Manchester police being a slightly different force to Greater London.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in London they are currently recruiting new police constables for the met. You need to ring the number on the met careers website to register your interest and get an application form sent to you.
    Then book onto the CKP course which is NOT a 'degree' it's a certificate, costs £800ish and you need to have completed it by the end of Dec this year to be eligible to get the job. There are many providers of this course around the country, you can find your nearest on the met careers website. However you don't need to do this if you've passed the PLC at 60% or over in the past 2 years.
    People offered the jobs will begin training in February 2014. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    If you live in London they are currently recruiting new police constables for the met. You need to ring the number on the met careers website to register your interest and get an application form sent to you.
    Then book onto the CKP course which is NOT a 'degree' it's a certificate, costs £800ish and you need to have completed it by the end of Dec this year to be eligible to get the job. There are many providers of this course around the country, you can find your nearest on the met careers website. However you don't need to do this if you've passed the PLC at 60% or over in the past 2 years.
    People offered the jobs will begin training in February 2014. Hope this helps
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.