to smack or not to smack Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rashmi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I think hitting children is wrong & should be punishable by law.
Amazing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rashmi)
What do you mean should be? It is punishable by the law.
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think hitting/smackin children is wrong... altho i think they shud be disciplined in some way. i was smacked when i was younger on the very rare occasion. if i did anything that was way too far anf i knew it id get a smack and i didnt turn out a psycho or anything.

i think on a regular basis or in different situations it can be very wrong and should be punishable.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think beating the crap out of a kid is wrong. I don't think there's anything wrong with a well placed clip round the earhole when deserved though.
Amazing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I think beating the crap out of a kid is wrong. I don't think there's anything wrong with a well placed clip round the earhole when deserved though.
Indeed. I hate the way people often give some awful rhetoric over the serious abuse that some children undergo, and the regular beatings they receive, in an attempt to convince people to never even consider giving their child a mild slap at all. The things are completely incomparable. I think some of the policies adopted by the NSPC here, such as showing pictures of children obviously terrified and crying in the corner after having the crap kicked out of them by a parent, achieve nothing; clearly the sort of people who use such violence on their own children aren't going to be swayed by an emotive poster or tv advert.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amazing)
Indeed. I hate the way people often give some awful rhetoric over the serious abuse that some children undergo, and the regular beatings they receive, in an attempt to convince people to never even consider giving their child a mild slap at all. The things are completely incomparable. I think some of the policies adopted by the NSPC here, such as showing pictures of children obviously terrified and crying in the corner after having the crap kicked out of them by a parent, achieve nothing; clearly the sort of people who use such violence on their own children aren't going to be swayed by an emotive poster or tv advert.
<nods in grim-faced agreement>
ToshTrent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you allow a slap or two where to we draw the line. How do we determine if somebody has crossed the line? What if someone is bordering abuse yet isn't?

If all forms of violence are ruled out then no confusion can occur in this area.

Also if a person in the street was causing a nuisance and I went up to him/her and slapped them I'd be up for physical assault. Can't really say wrong to hit one but ok to hit another.

Tosh
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think a smacked bum (just once) and a sending to the room for dicipline is fine. But kicking the **** out of them is not.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In reponse to that I think "hitting" children is wrong as well, and it is punished by the law.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Smacking is something that if done ONLY when necessary is a good thing. If a child doesn't learn the difference between right and wrong with a noticeable punishment (such as putting people in prison after smacking kids!) then how will they know what is right and wrong.

I was smacked as a child, I still get the occasional smack as an adult but I know then I've done wrong. My friend Imogen wasn't smacked as a kid and she has a criminal record.

I know it's a very narrow example, however it surely shows something.
It should be used as a threat not as a solution
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
On a Macro scale can anybody remember Year 10 & 11 History lessons and Appeasment?
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
On a Macro scale can anybody remember Year 10 & 11 History lessons and Appeasment?
Yes! But I only remember: New and Old Industries, The Irish Potatoe Famine, The Depression, Super Power Rivalry and a few other bits on the usa. Not appeasment...
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Moog)
Yes! But I only remember: New and Old Industries, The Irish Potatoe Famine, The Depression, Super Power Rivalry and a few other bits on the usa. Not appeasment...
Appeasment was what they used to tell off Hitler after he invaded a country. They would say bad hitler, ban any oil or feathers or something equally random from being imported and exported and say if you promise not to do it again we won't do anything.

yeah that REEEALLY worked!
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ToshTrent)
If you allow a slap or two where to we draw the line. How do we determine if somebody has crossed the line? What if someone is bordering abuse yet isn't?

Tosh
Nonsense. What about that thing called "self-control"?

My parents were able to give me a slap on the ass and later a clip round the earhole without totally losing control, breaking my arms, and burning me with cigarettes. I think most adults are. And those that aren't really shouldn't be rearing children in the first place.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
my friend's mum just throws cold water over her

doesn't really work though
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Appeasment was what they used to tell off Hitler after he invaded a country. They would say bad hitler, ban any oil or feathers or something equally random from being imported and exported and say if you promise not to do it again we won't do anything.

yeah that REEEALLY worked!
In an odd way it did work. A policy of short term appeasment gave Stalin for example additional time to ready his army for Hitler's inevitable invasion a couple years later.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I will certainly discipline my children by smackin' em, up to an age anyway. You can't debate right and wrong with a small child they just don't understand. Best to indoctrinate them with a slap on the bum or a clip round the ear
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
I will certainly discipline my children by smackin' em, up to an age anyway. You can't debate right and wrong with a small child they just don't understand. Best to indoctrinate them with a slap on the bum or a clip round the ear
I agree. Children are really more like puppies than humans. They need training. You can't reason with a puppy. When it ****s on your carpet the only way you can get through to the puppy that what it did was wrong is rub his nose in it.

It's sort of the same thing with children (though obviously not literally)
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There have probably been many studies into this and I assume the way the laws (Scotland) are going physical discipline has been proved to be ineffective? Or is it just human rights gone mad?

I can't imagine pontificating parents bringing up particularly nice children; all my friends were smacked as kids as far as I'm aware, and they're (mostly ) all pillars of society.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I would say you can reason with a 2 year old - they understand enough language at that point in time usually.
Some you can. Some you can't. They certainly understand enough language at that point but regardless, they won't all do what they're bloody well told.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (76)
17.31%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (281)
64.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.78%
Not yet but I might (61)
13.9%

Watched Threads