Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This is a bit hard to write but I will go ahead and try and make it as clear as I can. I have been suffering from severe depression for over 2 years and it had progressed to the point where I had lost completely any motivation to do anything. Being kicked when you were already down made it deeper and deeper as people didn't realize that I was going through some stuff at that time and didn't bother. I have ADHD and anxiety as well however it was the onset of depression that really took its toll on me. Basically I had gone through something that could be described as a traumatic experience and I chose not to disclose it to anyone uptill now. And it was towards the end of my A-Levels that I chose to seek help and right now thankfully I am doing very well now.

However the carelessness that I had portrayed in that time still lives on. I gave my A levels and even my GCE O levels in a state that resembled a vegetable; and only at a few instances did teachers point it out but did not choose to pursue it further in school. I was lucky enough to get a psychiatrist who was very good; though early in his career and he had agreed to help me out through Psychoanalysis for free as I had told him that I could not burden my parents with anymore than they had to worry about. After 2 years I have finally over the past few months begun to see a positive change in my personality. The problem now comes as my A level results came and I got BBCC; even though I had hoped to get better I knew that under the circumstances this was the best I could do. My Universities though wanted something upwards of AAB or BBB and I have missed these offers by a wide margin as it seems.

I really want to start fresh as I have made a lot of progress and I feel like I will relapse if I suffer such a setback as not going into the universities I had dreamed of going to. My school at this moment will not endorse this as the teachers who had raised this issue in class have resigned as of a few months ago and I can not get them to testify to the administration to contact the University regarding this. Secondly if I manage to get a detailed letter from my psychiatrist can I be able to send that to my university and explain to them that I do have the potential but the mental state I was in hampered my efforts and that is the reason why I could not do well and that now I am recovering?

I know that a lot of students might have these problems and that most universities won't bother with this. I also realize that I might be a little too late to do this but I had not bothered to get my psychiatrist to intervene as at that time I thought it would have been an unnecessary action on my part. How should I proceed, and would such an action give me an advantage?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be important for you to contact the Universities/Colleges etc concerned, and to have medical evidence for anything relevant. That's the only practical "problem solving" advice I can think of, each institution is different but are usually surprisingly helpful so long as you cooperate.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you inform your examinations officer at school? They would have notified the exam boards who would have given a few % allowance in marks. This is standard procedure. What's not going to happen is your grades improved to the level you want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.