Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lion tested eggs are completely safe to consume raw right? Ive been having raw eggs in my morning shakes for a while now, but someone recently told me they can carry Salmonella, but I thought Lion standard didnt?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...nutrition.aspx

Why are you eating them raw? Sounds pretty nasty. Just cook them and have them later or eat something else.

I can think of no reason why you would consume something so disgusting.

I imagine they're perfectly safe, though. I'm sure it would have been a big story if it did contain it.

ReputationRep:
      I am pretty sure more protein gets released with cooked food as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by McHumpy92)
      I am pretty sure more protein gets released with cooked food as well.
      Yeah I saw a study that came to that conclusion, can't remember what the figure was but it was over 20% more bioavailable.

ReputationRep:
      Someone has been watching too much Rocky I think

ReputationRep:
      You can never guarantee that raw eggs are 100% safe. God knows why you would want to eat them like that rather than scrambled or poached or something....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by biffyclyro27)
      You can never guarantee that raw eggs are 100% safe. God knows why you would want to eat them like that rather than scrambled or poached or something....
      My morning shake lol, i dont have time in the mornings to cook eggs, i just shove a load of superfood into a blender, mix it and down.

I would normally cook eggs, they taste foul raw but its quicker.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Apocrypha)
      My morning shake lol, i dont have time in the mornings to cook eggs, i just shove a load of superfood into a blender, mix it and down.

I would normally cook eggs, they taste foul raw but its quicker.
      Get up earlier, eat scrambled eggs?

Lion standard eggs are perfectly safe. Make sure they are free range though please, it's unbelievable how much those poor battery hens suffer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FilmNerd1989)
      Get up earlier, eat scrambled eggs?

Lion standard eggs are perfectly safe. Make sure they are free range though please, it's unbelievable how much those poor battery hens suffer.
      Lol me too, everything i eat is organic including free range eggs.

Cant trust the chemicals they put in to preserve food.

ReputationRep:
      Get a big pot and boil 10 eggs. Peel them and put them in fridge to consume.

There are about a thousand things that will provide just as much protein that are just as quick and easy to consume. Why on earth do you want to risk food poisoning and put yourself through crap taste for some stupid raw eggs? Your solution is to cook using your brain. Freeze meals if you have to, but seriously stop selling yourself short with this kind of thing. It's the kind of crap that makes people stop lifting.

ReputationRep:
      buy egg white's in a carton, it's easier+doesn't contain the yolk. also just cook the damn eggs how hard is it lmao

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Apocrypha)
      Lion tested eggs are completely safe to consume raw right? Ive been having raw eggs in my morning shakes for a while now, but someone recently told me they can carry Salmonella, but I thought Lion standard didnt?
      That's disgusting. But anyway, Lion Standard eggs come from chickens inoculated against salmonella:
      Pullet farms/vaccination programme
      All birds destined for Lion Quality egg-producing flocks are vaccinated against Salmonella enteritidis using an approved vaccine. This entails more than 2 million pullets being vaccinated each month, at a cost of around £4 million per year.

A full hygiene monitoring programme including hygiene swabbing must be completed by pullet rearers before birds are taken onto the farm. Rearing flocks are tested for salmonella and all equipment and vehicles used for transporting pullets to the laying unit must be disinfected. Records of bird movement, salmonella testing and control of wild birds and rodents must be kept on the passport.
      http://www.lioneggfarms.co.uk/inform...e-of-practice/

Still, I wouldn't trust them haha :rolleyes: Surely you'd be better off just boiling a large batch every weekend and eating them during the week? No extra calories, tastes much better and won't give you food poisoning.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by smd4std)
      buy egg white's in a carton, it's easier+doesn't contain the yolk. also just cook the damn eggs how hard is it lmao
      It's cheaper and more environmentally friendly to buy eggs and throw away the yolks. But if you're gonna eat them raw getting the pasteurized stuff in cartons is better I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by silent ninja)
      It's cheaper and more environmentally friendly to buy eggs and throw away the yolks. But if you're gonna eat them raw getting the pasteurized stuff in cartons is better I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      I wouldn't be surprised if that was a cheaper method, but I can't figure out why it would be more environmentally friendly.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RVNmax)
      I wouldn't be surprised if that was a cheaper method, but I can't figure out why it would be more environmentally friendly.
      Packaging, chemical preservatives, probably greater transport costs (processing factories will be located centrally I imagine whereas eggs are often locally bought from farms), processing costs at this unnecessary factory etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've eaten raw eggs loads of times without really thinking about it when eating homemade ice cream or leftover cake mix and quite liked the taste, though I guess they'd taste worse on their own. It's up to you really if you want to take the risk, Lion eggs will have a much lower risk and as long as you're not in a high risk group yourself e.g. pregnant, old, a baby etc. then the chances of it affecting you are low but still existant.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        I just cook them, scrambled egg for the win.
        • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by silent ninja)
        Packaging, chemical preservatives, probably greater transport costs (processing factories will be located centrally I imagine whereas eggs are often locally bought from farms), processing costs at this unnecessary factory etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
        I see now, thanks.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by parpirate)
        I've eaten raw eggs loads of times without really thinking about it when eating homemade ice cream or leftover cake mix and quite liked the taste, though I guess they'd taste worse on their own. It's up to you really if you want to take the risk, Lion eggs will have a much lower risk and as long as you're not in a high risk group yourself e.g. pregnant, old, a baby etc. then the chances of it affecting you are low but still existant.
        Cheers, well being male and 18, cant see myself getting pregnant, or benjamin buttoning to babyhood! haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.