Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's worse? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you hate most?
    Communists (e.g. Mao Tse-tung, Kim Jong Un)
    51.22%
    Fascists (e.g. Hitler, Nick Griffin)
    34.15%
    Liberals (e.g. Ayn Rand, Margaret Thatcher)
    7.32%
    Hippies (e.g. Noam Chomsky)
    7.32%

ReputationRep:
    The followers of which ideology do you find most repellent, and why?

Remember, it has to be in the context of the world today.

N.b. I realised MT wasn't the best example of a liberal if you're talking about socially liberal, but I can't change the poll now. Nevertheless, she was more socially liberal than any fascist or communist.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with this poll is that the people you chose don't necessarily represent the class you put in, so you cannot reliably expect people to know how a true fascist, a true communist, a true liberal, or a hippie (what the hell does that even mean) will realistically behave in a government.

Therefore, the results of the poll are likely to be fundamentally flawed because they are based on erroneous perceptions of what each of these classes represent.

Also, your opinion that Thatcher being more liberal than XYZ and therefore she can fit into the liberal class is not well founded either. Just because Mr X is more liberal than Mr Y does not qualify Mr X as a liberal, particularly when they're not the only two people in existence.

Perhaps you should have simply remade the poll.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should censor and manipulate the results of these polls as a kind of ironic punishment to those who took it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    I think you should censor and manipulate the results of these polls as a kind of ironic punishment to those who took it seriously.
    Yes, that would destroy them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite see how you can put Ayn Rand and Margaret Thatcher in the same category... objectivism isn't the same as Thatcherism.

ReputationRep:
    Communists are the scum of the earth. Nothing more than thieves who have killed millions. Thankfully, it's a dead ideology; only select groups of stinking students cling to it.

ReputationRep:
    Strange poll.

ReputationRep:
    How is anybody supposed to answer this? There is no definitive answer.

ReputationRep:
    None of these are even relevant tbh. Communism has never really existed. The forms which it has apparently existed have just been used by crackpot dictators of developing countries and banana republics to justify their tyrannical regimes. It's more useful as a boogeyman, a hate figure, for people to rally against. See: Cold War.

Fascism. What is fascism? So broad a term. Fascism only really applies to the reign of Mussolini and at a stretch Hitler. Fascism has been used to encompass so many authoritarian to totalitarian regimes across the world. Franco, the Latin American dictators, and er... Barack Obama. Just a word with no substance, all fluff.

Neoliberals. An ideology that is used to promote survival of the fittest, often by egghead academics who falsely believe that they would come off better in this brave new world instead of, y'know, getting brutally raped and murdered by street gangs. Ayn Rand wasn't even a neoliberal, Ayn Rand was an Ayn Rand supporter. And there's been an argument emerging recently among historians that for all her rhetoric, Thatcher was more of a traditional one-nation Conservative than a die-hard supporter of Hayek. So again, a word leaning more towards fluff when it's key supporters are examined.

And er... hippies. What is that? Anyone whose vaguely left-wing? Jog on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_Morris)
    The problem with this poll is that the people you chose don't necessarily represent the class you put in, so you cannot reliably expect people to know how a true fascist, a true communist, a true liberal, or a hippie (what the hell does that even mean) will realistically behave in a government.

Therefore, the results of the poll are likely to be fundamentally flawed because they are based on erroneous perceptions of what each of these classes represent.

Also, your opinion that Thatcher being more liberal than XYZ and therefore she can fit into the liberal class is not well founded either. Just because Mr X is more liberal than Mr Y does not qualify Mr X as a liberal, particularly when they're not the only two people in existence.

Perhaps you should have simply remade the poll.
    I was thinking more along the lines of economic liberal. Thatcher was very economically liberal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    None of these are even relevant tbh. Communism has never really existed. The forms which it has apparently existed have just been used by crackpot dictators of developing countries and banana republics to justify their tyrannical regimes. It's more useful as a boogeyman, a hate figure, for people to rally against. See: Cold War.
    I would argue that true communism would be awful. Everyone living the same lives, no choice, no freedom to innovate, no progress through the ages, just an endless loop of drones being born, fed by the state, making more drones and dying. Most people live like that anyway but the point is in a capitalistic society we have the freedom to move away from it if we desire.

Fascism. What is fascism? So broad a term. Fascism only really applies to the reign of Mussolini and at a stretch Hitler. Fascism has been used to encompass so many authoritarian to totalitarian regimes across the world. Franco, the Latin American dictators, and er... Barack Obama. Just a word with no substance, all fluff.
    Centre to centre-left economically, and extremely authoritarian. There are many people who fit that description. See the British National Party, or as many people call it, the British Nazi Party.

Neoliberals. An ideology that is used to promote survival of the fittest, often by egghead academics who falsely believe that they would come off better in this brave new world instead of, y'know, getting brutally raped and murdered by street gangs. Ayn Rand wasn't even a neoliberal, Ayn Rand was an Ayn Rand supporter. And there's been an argument emerging recently among historians that for all her rhetoric, Thatcher was more of a traditional one-nation Conservative than a die-hard supporter of Hayek. So again, a word leaning more towards fluff when it's key supporters are examined.
    I beg to differ on that one. Ayn Rand was crazy, sure, but liberal to the extreme. Liberalism (don't call it "neoliberal"; it's like "neodemocratic") is not about survival of the fittest. It is about free trade in a free market (as well as freedom in all other areas of life, within reason). There is nothing intrinsic in the core principle of liberalism which rejects things like social responsibility, or state support or even a national health service (provided private services are not banned).
    I've already apologised for using Thatcher as an example, and agree completely that she was not a classical liberal. A classical liberal would never have done a lot of what she did (such as the stuff about homosexuality, and the 19th century family values stuff). But I can't change the poll, unfortunately.

And er... hippies. What is that? Anyone whose vaguely left-wing? Jog on.
    A hippie is somebody who believes that everybody deserves an equal life to everybody else, and yet is able to reconcile this with an honourable outlook regarding personal freedom. A hippie is very likely to be described as "libertarian communist".

*of course, that is my ​definition for the purposes of this poll.

ReputationRep:
    Other than hippy, which I really don't understand why is in the poll; all of those people are terrible. I'd say fascism is the worst on that list as a political ideology, communism is poorly understood even by some communists because it is a utopian ideology of a stateless, wageless society and 'liberals' by which you meant laissez faire capitalists I absolutely hate.

At least social liberals don't get any hate in your poll though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solarstorm)
    Other than hippy, which I really don't understand why is in the poll; all of those people are terrible. I'd say fascism is the worst on that list as a political ideology, communism is poorly understood even by some communists because it is a utopian ideology of a stateless, wageless society and 'liberals' by which you meant laissez faire capitalists I absolutely hate.

At least social liberals don't get any hate in your poll though!
    Being a social liberal is part of being a classical liberal (which was what I was referring to as "liberal"), and it is also part of being a hippie, so, yes, I did include social liberals.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like communism. It's inherently negative.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't capatalism on this system? It certainly has its problems. Yes communism failed (on a much quicker timescale, as history said), but in my opinion, capatalism is also destroying itself (albeit, on a much slower timescale).

ReputationRep:
    Communism makes out that it is best for "the people", but unlike other statehood's Communism is predominately passive. It doesn't rule with a gun at the head of "the people" which a traditional forms of Militarism and Fascism may do. It underhandedly rules, which, on a psychological level, is more frightening in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher gave a lot of liberal speeches. That doesn't make her a liberal.

ReputationRep:
    I laughed at the fact that Margaret Thatcher was listed as a Liberal.

Personally, I think Communism is a big problem, primarily because of the fact that it appears to be so reluctant to change when problems arise. On top of that, it's generally all about 'equality' but in some cases it's the exact opposite. Some want to create an economic system where everyone is paid the same - well how is that fair? If a bin man earns the same as a lawyer, where is the incentive to become a lawyer? Becoming a lawyer would require far greater knowledge and skill, and more investment.

Additionally, the system has shown that although they've tried to level everyone's earnings, politicians will pay themselves far higher sums of money than what they'll hand out to the common weal.

Regards,

Circles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.