Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand Wikipedia so can someone please explain it to me using simple language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouty97)
    I don't understand Wikipedia so can someone please explain it to me using simple language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it depends how detailed you want to go. Basically no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state, but I don't know if you know what a fermion is, so let's only use electrons.
    No two electrons can occupy the same quantum state, that being comprised of spin, energy level etc.
    You may take it to say that everything is connected and some looneys think it explains telepathy. It doesn't.
    You might want to look up on fermions and spin a bit if you don't know what they are, but fermions are one type of particle in the standard model including electrons, muons, quarks and others. They have a different type of spin to other particles (bosons). Spin is just a quantum property of a particle.

Hope I helped a little, it can be confusing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouty97)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The pauli exclusion principle is that no two electrons may have the same quantum numbers. I shall list them, but you can look up each one as it would take ages to write down about each one.

n, the principal quantum number
    l, orbital angular momentum quantum number
    ml, magnetic quantum number
    ms, magnetic spin quantum number
    s, spin quantum number (always 1/2 for electrons)

l and s are vectors and ml and ms define their projection along a defined axis.

ReputationRep:
    No two electrons in an atom can have identical quantum numbers. This is an example of a general principle which applies not only to electrons but also to other particles of half-integer spin (fermions). This is the simplest definition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.