Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni: Official Students 13/14!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MMAGuy
Haha, same I only started buying the kitchen/non tech stuff on Friday xD

Sent from my nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I have a list/schedule it’s also things like what books/comic books/ DVDS to bring. :colondollar:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 741
Whats everyones plans with the freshers events at the glow house and stuff? Getting tickets beforehand or just risking it and turning up on the night??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 742
Original post by Garrow1564
I have a list/schedule it’s also things like what books/comic books/ DVDS to bring. :colondollar:

My list is just compiled from a ton of uni lists online plus one or two things I thought of looking around the house.

I usually prepare very early on, I was just waiting for my accommodation confirmation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by MMAGuy
My list is just compiled from a ton of uni lists online plus one or two things I thought of looking around the house.

I usually prepare very early on, I was just waiting for my accommodation confirmation.

I really like lists/ researching

I know exactly what I need to buy; I got my place through clearing so I had to wait for accommodation to be confirmed everything will hopefully be bought rather easily. The only thing I can’t find thus far is UV paint which I didn’t know was a must for a fresher.
Reply 744
Original post by laurenlcollier
Just type in on Google "English Literature reading list Lancaster Uni" and it should come up! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thank you! Just to confirm, is this it: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/english/undergrad/englit_modules/engl100reading.htm
Reply 745
Does anyone know how much Lancaster will discount students (if they even sell it) for microsoft office?

Yeah! There's also this if you're doing language and lit http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergrad/resources/readings-alevel.htm I wouldn't jump and buy everything because it would be a big waste of money! See what you use most in your lectures or borrow most from the library and then invest in it (unless it gives you essentials on the website) A lot of my friends who have been to uni made the mistake of buying expensive books that were never used :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 747
Yeah! There's also this if you're doing language and lit http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergrad/resources/readings-alevel.htm I wouldn't jump and buy everything because it would be a big waste of money! See what you use most in your lectures or borrow most from the library and then invest in it (unless it gives you essentials on the website) A lot of my friends who have been to uni made the mistake of buying expensive books that were never used :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thank you for the advice! I'd still feel a little bad not getting at least some of the books, so I might just buy some from the first section. I was wondering about the Hamlet book, though. I've already bought a version of the script for Theatre, but English Lit is asking for a different version. Should I bother buying another version of the same thing? It just seems like a waste to me.
Reply 748
Original post by Envelopes
Does anyone know how much Lancaster will discount students (if they even sell it) for microsoft office?

I asked them, they don't unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 749
Original post by NafroB
Whats everyones plans with the freshers events at the glow house and stuff? Getting tickets beforehand or just risking it and turning up on the night??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably will get them beforehand but not till I'm at uni to see whose going and if I want to go to the college event instead. Do you know if the tickets are in paper or is it your names on a list kinda thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 750
Yeah thats what im thinking, pretty grim if you buy all the tickets and nobody else youve met is going haha!
Ive got no idea, Id assume its actual tickets because guestlists cause all sorts of problems! Which ones you thinking of going to?
Reply 751
Original post by Torihalex
I asked them, they don't unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah :frown: would have been great if they did. Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 752
Original post by NafroB
Yeah thats what im thinking, pretty grim if you buy all the tickets and nobody else youve met is going haha!
Ive got no idea, Id assume its actual tickets because guestlists cause all sorts of problems! Which ones you thinking of going to?

Probably the foam party and the paint party not sure about the others. How about you? What college you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 753
Original post by Garrow1564
I really like lists/ researching

I know exactly what I need to buy; I got my place through clearing so I had to wait for accommodation to be confirmed everything will hopefully be bought rather easily. The only thing I can’t find thus far is UV paint which I didn’t know was a must for a fresher.

I got mine as my insurance offer so got even lower priority than clearing :tongue: I'm in bowland, wonder if I'll be needing UV paint too :s-smilie:

Reply 754
Original post by Envelopes
Ah :frown: would have been great if they did. Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are "other ways" of getting office if you really can't afford it, but of course I shouldn't be promoting those methods.

Original post by MMAGuy
I got mine as my insurance offer so got even lower priority than clearing :tongue: I'm in bowland, wonder if I'll be needing UV paint too :s-smilie:

Really? That's insane, I'm in County I presume UV paint is optional at this point it looks like my epic search will be fruitless. What are you studying?
This may sound stupid but I've never been to a foam party or even really gone clubbing...how much is fresher's week likely to cost if I try to do all of the nights out? Also how do you know which events require pre-booked tickets and stuff, I assumed it'd all be 'turn up on the day' but it seems tis' not the case :P
Original post by Loketoki
Ah, thank you for the advice! I'd still feel a little bad not getting at least some of the books, so I might just buy some from the first section. I was wondering about the Hamlet book, though. I've already bought a version of the script for Theatre, but English Lit is asking for a different version. Should I bother buying another version of the same thing? It just seems like a waste to me.

Yeah I'm definitely getting at least one of the books for my course as they said it as an essential one anyway. You should wait until you have chance to speak to your major course leader during Freshers' and ask their opinion on whether it's worth having two of the same thing! Do you have any idea of which modules you're going to choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 758
Original post by HannahS95
Hahah I'm sure it'll be fine if you decide you need a job! It'll be one of those things where you just adjust to everything you have to do and get used to it :') Well yeah there's more types I didn't really think about that at all cos theres Bachelor of surgery as well.... but yeah thinks like english/history etc etc are all under bachelor of arts :') Yeah it is, spesh when we don't even have any lectures in freshers! Don't start working til October 7th :wink: Whereas some people have already begun! :wink: hahahah i never have to do maths again yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! my solution is to use a calculator.... :wink:

True, it should be an interesting year balancing the course, going out, and a job if i get one! Are you planning on getting a job?
Bachelor of surgery sounds really bad ass! Makes me wonder why i didn't go for that now :') Yeah, i start on the 7th as well, bright and early at 9am :'( But i'm still so happy to find out my lectures aren't in engineering - they're much, much closer :biggrin: By the way, where are you lectures generally?
I keep periodically texting some of my friends in the middle of the day to show them what time i'm waking up and how free i am... i've not gotten any pleasant replies back yet :') Funnily enough, i'm kinda excited to start working now - i kinda miss being busy and doing all my maths and mechanics stuff :colondollar:
Likewise, i never have to write an analytical essay ever again! (Well, i probably will, but it won't be about books and plays anymore! :woo: ) Hahaha, Pah! Who needs a calculator when i've got this brilliant mind :wink:
Reply 759
Yeah I'm definitely getting at least one of the books for my course as they said it as an essential one anyway. You should wait until you have chance to speak to your major course leader during Freshers' and ask their opinion on whether it's worth having two of the same thing! Do you have any idea of which modules you're going to choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which ones would you say are essential? I know someone mentioned an asterisk marks the essential books somewhere in this forum, but there aren't any asterisks in the list ((unless I didn't read it correctly!))
Yeah, I'll wait and speak to them. That's a good idea. It just seems pointless, unless one version specifically has theatre notes and the other has English Lit notes. Meh.
If, by modules you mean third course, I'm going to do Creative Writing! Although, I've been trying to choose the module and I have no idea how... Which module are you going to choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest