Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if it is ever possible to get English teaching placements/volunteering work abroad in Germany/France, as an 18 year old on a gap year 2014-2015 (albeit a current and future languages student)? French and German would both be about AS/GCSE level. While I can find lots of offers for opportunities abroad in exotic countries I would really want to spend my gap year doing something A: Worthwhile and applicable to my future CV(and no, an untrained westerner hacking at dirt for free in a 3rd world country does no good for anyone), and B: Learn French/German/Both. All Erasmus/British Council opportunities are for those already studying at uni but I don't know if this is just a formality and that if you can show them you are a future language student (e.g. a deferred offer from uni) they would make an exception.

Anyway, any all advice on opportunities in either of those 2 countries would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well, a quick google gives this in france: http://www.realgap.co.uk/teach-english-in-france

But I suspect they'll be thin on the ground, you're more likely to find ones in Africa and Asia.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've had a look at that but I think you're right in that they are quite rare :/

Think I may end up looking at Erasmus at the uni instead.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    My british penpal was looking for a teaching assistant job in france for a long time but looks like it is complicated to find such a position in schools. She came to france this summer as an english tutor in a family near Bordeaux and she loved it. The family was very kind to her, they showed her around and she met a lot of their friends. She was teaching the family english for about 2 hours a day in echance for room and board. It is an french agency who found her that placement, I think it is called culture lingua. you should have a look at their website.
    I hope it helps!
    A plus en France!

(Original post by Blargh1)
    Hi, I was wondering if it is ever possible to get English teaching placements/volunteering work abroad in Germany/France, as an 18 year old on a gap year 2014-2015 (albeit a current and future languages student)? French and German would both be about AS/GCSE level. While I can find lots of offers for opportunities abroad in exotic countries I would really want to spend my gap year doing something A: Worthwhile and applicable to my future CV(and no, an untrained westerner hacking at dirt for free in a 3rd world country does no good for anyone), and B: Learn French/German/Both. All Erasmus/British Council opportunities are for those already studying at uni but I don't know if this is just a formality and that if you can show them you are a future language student (e.g. a deferred offer from uni) they would make an exception.

Anyway, any all advice on opportunities in either of those 2 countries would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the European Voluntary Service, all the placements are free and quite a few have elements of teaching English or translating.

ReputationRep:
    I am 17, turning 18 in November and arrived in southern France last week for a year, working as an English language assistant in a primary school. I was lucky in that I seemed to stumble upon this job whilst actually applying to be an aupair. I was contacted by the school after putting up an application on aupairworld.net. I am staying with a French host family, so accommodation and board is free, and I get 120€ a month on top of that. So whilst it is unusual and a case of luck over finding such a job at this age here, it is by no means impossible. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.