Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the true influence of the USA? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whilst today the USA is the world's most powerful country, how does it stand in terms of all-time world leading powers?

IMO, the greatest civilisation ever was ancient Rome, since even today they still influence our culture. But don't we even have more influence than the US, even though (despite us still being a world power) the USA is more powerful now?

Look at it this way:

- Most countries today that speak English do so because of us, including the US. Whilst American English is taught a lot overseas, bar a few differences in definitions/vocabulary it's exactly the same as our English. Besides, schoolchildren in India, South Africa, Jamaica, Nigeria, etc. are taught British English as standard.

- Many countries around the world follow our legal traditions. This again includes the USA.

- Whilst the metric system is more popular now (IMO Imperial system is *******s), the Imperial system is still used to some extent. Again, the US has its own version of our Imperial system.

- Many of the world's most popular sports have immediate UK origins. Obviously the modern laws/rules of football, boxing, cricket, tennis, golf, etc. come from us. Bar a few players in Cuba or Japan, few persons overseas give a **** about baseball. White Hart Lane is immeasurably more full to see Bale or soon Soldado/Paulinho then it ever will be for gridiron. Same with ice hockey, which really is a Canadian sport.

- Quite a few countries still have UK-based political systems. Yes, countries like Brazil and Nigeria have presidential-style systems, but the US didn't influence them to do it.

I'd say the US only has given us ICT and pop culture as its lasting legacy. It did to be far invent the Internet and TCP/IP (before anybody says anything Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented the Web, it's not the same thing as the Internet and he built on standards the Americans invented).

tl;dr - The USA is not as influential as other great powers in history, and only has a few technological innovations and guns and a large economy to show for it. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The UK may have spread the English language throughout the former empire, but people are learning English NOW not because of the UK but the position of the US. If the USSR was number 1, I assure you that Russian would be the most popular 2nd language. This is also why Mandarin is become a popular choice as a 2nd language, because people anticipate it becoming "Number one".

The US leads the entertainment industry. Everyone knows about Hollywood. Likewise, even though the finance is more of a mixed back, everybody knows (and probably hates to some degree) Wall Street.

You ask a person in most countries where would they like to live, they will likely answer the USA. America may not have the highest HDI or per capita income, but it has sold itself as a place where you can achieve what you are worth, true or false. America as a country has many flaws, but it is idealized in the minds of many people.

Go to a remote village in almost any country you will probably find a store that sells Coca Cola. That is the reach of Americanization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MantaRey)
    You ask a person in most countries where would they like to live, they will likely answer the USA.
    Oh god you're joking right...

By the way our legal system is called common law and the only countries that I know of that actually use it are former British colonies (Australia, USA) pretty much everyone else uses what is called civil law deriving from the Romans. And I agree USA have given us little of significance bar space travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    Oh god you're joking right...
    I'm sorry if I lack a very "European" outlook, but if you go to India, South Africa, Mexico or many other countries that's the truth. It doesn't mean America is the best country. It means that the idealistic view of America is very powerful, regardless of how true or false it is.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I lack a very "European" outlook, but if you go to India, South Africa, Mexico or many other countries that's the truth. It doesn't mean America is the best country. It means that the idealistic view of America is very powerful, regardless of how true or false it is.
    Yeah I know I was speaking on behalf of us Europeans I don't know about anyone else over here but I would much rather live in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    the UK is ruled by them

ReputationRep:
    The UK may have spread the English language throughout the former empire, but people are learning English NOW not because of the UK but the position of the US. If the USSR was number 1, I assure you that Russian would be the most popular 2nd language. This is also why Mandarin is become a popular choice as a 2nd language, because people anticipate it becoming "Number one".

The US leads the entertainment industry. Everyone knows about Hollywood. Likewise, even though the finance is more of a mixed back, everybody knows (and probably hates to some degree) Wall Street.

You ask a person in most countries where would they like to live, they will likely answer the USA. America may not have the highest HDI or per capita income, but it has sold itself as a place where you can achieve what you are worth, true or false. America as a country has many flaws, but it is idealized in the minds of many people.

Go to a remote village in almost any country you will probably find a store that sells Coca Cola. That is the reach of Americanization.
    OK, so basically soft drinks, junk food, and a financial centre which is not even the world's largest is their legacy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.a1979)
    OK, so basically soft drinks, junk food, and a financial centre which is not even the world's largest is their legacy?
    It isn't the junk itself but its presence in places you wouldn't expect it to be. The only similar thing was the presence of a British telegraph/postal office in the far flung reaches of the empire.

ReputationRep:
    Hollywood baby.

ReputationRep:

We can only discuss America's legacy in a few hundreds years time, once their time as world power ends and the legacy is more clear.

ReputationRep:
    Being one of the lead nations in defeating fascism, being the lead nation id defeating imperialism and being the lead nation in defeating communism.

No empire invents stuff. They just have a habit of adopting stuff and spreading it.

But I suppose that you could say that the Americans were the first and only to put a man on the moon, led the way in the development of nuclear power and weapons.

The Americans get a hard time off many people, but I have to say I think that the word would be a poorer place had they followed their isolationist policies in the 30s.

I think some of it is jealousy.

ReputationRep:
    To answer the OP- and correct me if I'm wrong, as a outsider from the nation who gave America its language- isn't it Capitalism? That's my opinion anyhow...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    McDonald's, Burger King, Walmart, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, Banana Republic, tech inventions such as Microsoft, Apple, etc. etc. etc.

The list is pretty big actually. Most of these franchises have outlets all over the world and are really popular with consumers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.