The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2300
Late reply but i was away after results but i got ABCC :biggrin: ! off to Uni to study BSc Psychology
Original post by ikz94
Late reply but i was away after results but i got ABCC :biggrin: ! off to Uni to study BSc Psychology

Psychology is good....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tsrking
What is your experience and even if i were predicted AAA????

Sorry just seen this. I don't believe you will get any offers with those grades in this application cycle.

A friend of mine got AABB (a B was in Chemistry which was a blow) despite interviews she didn't get an offer. However she worked really hard to get her AAA and expect her to get offers as a post A-level student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EllyR
It is indeed :tongue: Hmm well I think need to firstly just read a bit and get my head back into chemistry mode! But now you mention it, electrochemical cells and redox stuff is probably one of my weaker areas... Deffo need to look over a bit of organic as well! Ah no I'd forgotten about maths :tongue: I've probably already forgotten everything! But I bet it will all come back once I look over it a bit... :smile:

I'll probably either pick molecules in action or a biology module, maybe the cell biology one? But maths is tempting me as well! Good point about the maths in Core Chem B though, just had a look and there is quite a bit! Ah yes I'm looking forward to German! How did you find the module? I've had a look but I can't figure out which one I would be doing :frown: Sounds good though, I've been a bit worried about there being loads of lit as well, for some reason we never did any at my school and I'm not sure I'd like it :tongue:

Yes, I totally get what you mean... This had better live up to our expectations!!

Yay, me too! :biggrin: Haha yes, I think I was saved by low grade boundaries! :tongue:

Yeah me too... Did you get that reading list from Durham on DUO? That seems pretty useful, I think I will follow that! :biggrin: A lot of it is chemguide! I know, I haven't done any chemistry (or science) in forever, which I think was a necessary break but still, it's a big change in gear for our brains getting back into isn't it? :biggrin: If that makes sense! :L Yeah, I think everything needs going over here... The thermodynamics stuff is a bit fuzzy in my head as well! We'll be fine tho... Just need to refresh!! :biggrin:

Eeee, I know decisions decisions!! Do you know if we have to decide now? :smile: We've been given module registration things right? But I thought we have to talk about module choices at some point during Freshers week? So confused lol!! :s-smilie: I know the maths in Core 1B is like A2 further maths level maths I think, which I did not expect! I am happy about it tho... It means our A levels in maths don't get wasted lol! Ohh and you can find the modules in the module handbook... Just press the button that says 'List Level 1 modules' and you can see which modules are available :smile:) I reckon because you've done A level German you could do either one... The German for scientists would probs be a walk in the park for you haha but I don't know if it would be more useful?? I'd ask someone at the uni I think :smile: Yeah I didn't want to do lit because I think it is pretty time consuming and can become annoying when you want to focus on chem...

I'm sure it will... It might even exceed them! :wink:

I think the exams I did best in had low grade boundaries... Then again to get an A* that means we did a lot better than average, so you still did really well :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2304
[h="5"]Now that your results are over and done with, it's time to start thinking about university. Not long now until you begin! Check out my blog. [/h]
http://tahneatnewman.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/starting-university/
Original post by AserO.
Can anyone know the marks in a levels Cambridge ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean the CIE board? If I'm not mistaken, they don't release UMS. Your teachers may get a more detailed breakdown, although its not released as a rule and I don't think Cambridge get them either.
To think that we were getting our results exactly two weeks ago... Crazy!! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I got into my firm (Kent) for Accounting and Finance and ultimately ended up attaining AABac in the end with A's in both English Lit and Psychology respectively. I know this is a bit late but I haven't been on TSR on ages and was probably one of the first to post on this type of thread last year.

Also, I have a little question, just a tiny issue not major. For mr English Lit ALevel, I got 78/80 UMS for one of the modules (LITB4). On the AQA UMS Boundaries website, it clearly states that it is 72/80 for an 'a*' in thar module but on my exam sheet it is written as an 'a'. Does anybody know why they have done this? Would this just be a print error? Again, I know it's not much of a big deal as my overall grade is still correct but I'm just curious.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Yes, I got into my firm (Kent) for Accounting and Finance and ultimately ended up attaining AABac in the end with A's in both English Lit and Psychology respectively. I know this is a bit late but I haven't been on TSR on ages and was probably one of the first to post on this type of thread last year.

Also, I have a little question, just a tiny issue not major. For mr English Lit ALevel, I got 78/80 UMS for one of the modules (LITB4). On the AQA UMS Boundaries website, it clearly states that it is 72/80 for an 'a*' in thar module but on my exam sheet it is written as an 'a'. Does anybody know why they have done this? Would this just be a print error? Again, I know it's not much of a big deal as my overall grade is still correct but I'm just curious.

That technically is an A*, but because you can't get an A* overall without getting a 90% average (assuming it's the same as other subjects) the exam boards never write "a*" for the individual modules, just in the overall grade if you get that :smile:
Reply 2309
Original post by Lifeisgood:)
Yeah me too... Did you get that reading list from Durham on DUO? That seems pretty useful, I think I will follow that! :biggrin: A lot of it is chemguide! I know, I haven't done any chemistry (or science) in forever, which I think was a necessary break but still, it's a big change in gear for our brains getting back into isn't it? :biggrin: If that makes sense! :L Yeah, I think everything needs going over here... The thermodynamics stuff is a bit fuzzy in my head as well! We'll be fine tho... Just need to refresh!! :biggrin:

Eeee, I know decisions decisions!! Do you know if we have to decide now? :smile: We've been given module registration things right? But I thought we have to talk about module choices at some point during Freshers week? So confused lol!! :s-smilie: I know the maths in Core 1B is like A2 further maths level maths I think, which I did not expect! I am happy about it tho... It means our A levels in maths don't get wasted lol! Ohh and you can find the modules in the module handbook... Just press the button that says 'List Level 1 modules' and you can see which modules are available :smile:) I reckon because you've done A level German you could do either one... The German for scientists would probs be a walk in the park for you haha but I don't know if it would be more useful?? I'd ask someone at the uni I think :smile: Yeah I didn't want to do lit because I think it is pretty time consuming and can become annoying when you want to focus on chem...

I'm sure it will... It might even exceed them! :wink:

I think the exams I did best in had low grade boundaries... Then again to get an A* that means we did a lot better than average, so you still did really well :smile:

Do you mean the one in the pre-uni work section? Yeah I've been going through that and it seems to cover loads so that's made things a lot easier! Haha I know! It's come up with loads of stuff I've never done before though, and it seems quite good at explaining it all :P Yes I get what you mean!! Luckily I think my chemistry brain is waking up now I've started reading everything through! :smile:

I think we have to register our modules on-line before we go... but it seems like we have to register again and can change them when we get there. Yeah it definitely goes beyond maths A level from the looks of things! :biggrin: Ah thanks! I think I'd found that already, I was just confusing myself! From reading the chemistry handbook I think I'm going to have to do the german module done in the actual language degree :redface: The other ones all say that you can't do them if you have a higher qualification than the one they're asking for... so that's a bit scary! I'm also kind of worried because there was a note in the handbook saying that the german department usually prefer you to do two modules :s-smilie: desperately hoping they wont make me do a module on german history and culture instead of chem D:

So have you made your mind up for your second option yet?! I ended up just going for it and putting molecules in action down :P

Ah i hope it does!! :tongue: Hurray for low grade boundries!! Although I suppose you're right there :tongue:
Reply 2310
which one is better to do at as level,physics or geography??? my other subjects are bio,chem and maths and I am hoping to do medicine?
Reply 2311
Original post by don9999
which one is better to do at as level,physics or geography??? my other subjects are bio,chem and maths and I am hoping to do medicine?

Whichever one you'd prefer. Maths (esp. mechanics) can compliment physics very well, but I found some of the AS course a little dry. Physics looks harder and better (subjective) so if you're willing to work for it, I'd go for that
Reply 2312
Original post by adi19956
Whichever one you'd prefer. Maths (esp. mechanics) can compliment physics very well, but I found some of the AS course a little dry. Physics looks harder and better (subjective) so if you're willing to work for it, I'd go for that

yeh iv decided to stick with it and pardon me for asking but what do you mean by dry?
Reply 2313
Original post by don9999
yeh iv decided to stick with it and pardon me for asking but what do you mean by dry?

Oxford English Dictionary defines it in this sense as unemotional, undemonstrative, or impassive, they're probably better than me at defining things!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 2314
[QUOTE="zaraasker;44015011"]
Original post by AKate

Thanks lot-this has given me hope that can do chemist and end up with an A-I guess the only problem is predicted grades-unlikely I'll be predicted an A when I only got a C at AS. And considering I really want to go to Oxford-that matters a lot :frown:
I was wondering (if you don't mind me asking) What were you predicted and what did you apply for at what unis?

I'm really sorry for only just seeing this now, but if it helps I was predicted an A in chem, not quite sure about the others but I know I was predicted A*AA at least overall - this took asking teachers but because they knew I was hard-working they weren't too reluctant. I asked for this because I wanted to apply to Oxford for Biochem, although I was rejected :tongue: But I was accepted to 4 other Russell Group unis.
However, I've actually decided to decline all of my offers, because my A2s ended up being better than my AS grades. If Oxford is really this important to you, have a go this year - all they can say is no - and if you don't get in just work really really hard to get those grades (which I'm sure you can do!) and take a gap year and reapply. I'm only starting my gap year now but I feel like having the time to think about my choices has meant I'm making a better decision with uni. It also means I can save up and afford food when I do go :tongue: and do all sorts of awesome things for a year.
So good luck this year, but if it doesn't work out, a gap year might be a good option for you, presuming you get the grades :smile:
I miss posting how anxious i was on this furum ehehe. Thank God its over and done with though. Strange how i was the most anxious about the subjects/units i did the best in :tongue:
[QUOTE="AKate;44540757"]
Original post by zaraasker

I'm really sorry for only just seeing this now, but if it helps I was predicted an A in chem, not quite sure about the others but I know I was predicted A*AA at least overall - this took asking teachers but because they knew I was hard-working they weren't too reluctant. I asked for this because I wanted to apply to Oxford for Biochem, although I was rejected :tongue: But I was accepted to 4 other Russell Group unis.
However, I've actually decided to decline all of my offers, because my A2s ended up being better than my AS grades. If Oxford is really this important to you, have a go this year - all they can say is no - and if you don't get in just work really really hard to get those grades (which I'm sure you can do!) and take a gap year and reapply. I'm only starting my gap year now but I feel like having the time to think about my choices has meant I'm making a better decision with uni. It also means I can save up and afford food when I do go :tongue: and do all sorts of awesome things for a year.
So good luck this year, but if it doesn't work out, a gap year might be a good option for you, presuming you get the grades :smile:

Thanks a bunch for the advice! :smile:
I ended up going for maths and I don't regret it because the teachers are so much better this year-I understand it all so far! And for some reason its not as bad as I thought it was going to be-all is going well for now! :smile:
And yeah I hadn't thought about it but a gap year is an option -if get the grades :smile:
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Those marks are insane, way higher than you'd need for an Oxford offer even! Oxford care more about GCSE's than the UMS of AS level, so the percentages are not important.

Exactly. Oxford place emphasis on the worthless qualifications that are GCSEs, rather than the important UMS scores in AS. No wonder Cambridge is a better university overall - it has the better students! :biggrin:
Original post by Bookmark my life
Exactly. Oxford place emphasis on the worthless qualifications that are GCSEs, rather than the important UMS scores in AS. No wonder Cambridge is a better university overall - it has the better students! :biggrin:

UMS isn't everything, it depends on the subjects - subjective essay subjects have a wider range of UMS marks, unlike science and maths subjects.

And Oxford is the best uni possible for my subject, so I'm happy
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
UMS isn't everything, it depends on the subjects - subjective essay subjects have a wider range of UMS marks, unlike science and maths subjects.

And Oxford is the best uni possible for my subject, so I'm happy

It is currently the best for philosophy, but Cambridge is the best for theology according to this league table:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Philosophy

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Theology+%26+Religious+Studies

Cambridge is, overall, the better university though.

There are better universities for philosophy in America, you know. :facepalm:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest