The Student Room Group

Good morning to all Nursing students, few Qs for you:)

Hi, I'm 27, a resident of Scotland, independent, fully employed, and thinking about going back to my old dream of becoming a nurse. I would appreciate any kind of a guidance from current students and those who graduated recently(-ish). While studying, I could rely only on myself when it comes to financing, so I really want to find out if I should even think about it.
I would like to know:
1) what is the practical difference between BN, BSc, Bsc(Hons) when it comes to nursing? I'm not familiar with the BN degree at all. My understanding is that Bsc(Hons) would be the "best" from all of these, but in reality, when it comes to the employment, does it change anything? I understand that you can become a Registered Nurse no matter if you're BN, BSc or Bsc(Hons).

2) How come in one of the Scottish Unis you study for 3 years, and in other - 4 years, to obtain exactly the same degree? Does it say anything about the quality of education there? Does it matter at all for future employers?

3) This one is quite important... Is it possible at all to work part-time while studying? I mean, are you able to find the time for that? And can you find a job even remotely connected with your field (any sort of caring, nurse-assisting), or do you just end up with typical customer service/retail jobs?

4) I got so used to being able to take planned leave at work, I completely forgot how can it be organised when you study. I have heard that during the work placement you are allowed to take few weeks of leave (correct me if I'm wrong please). But what about any other time, are there any consequences if I would have to miss lectures? Yes I know that summer time is our time off, but I want to know if I could be kicked out when I miss 1 week of lectures, or can I make up for it somehow, or just catch up in my own time?

Forgive me if I sound like a moron, but I really have to plan way ahead.
Reply 1
Hi,

I can't answer all of your questions I'm afraid but I'll do my best to give you what information I can! I am a 30 year old Psychology graduate with an MSc who has been in employment for a few years but am also going back to study nursing.

The BN vs BSc debate is pretty straightforward, as there is no difference in the qualification you are studying for; they are regarded equally and won't make any difference in job prospects. BSc vs BSc (Hons) is slightly different as, yes, the (Hons) is desirable.

As far as I am aware, Edinburgh University offers a 4 year course and all other Scottish unis are 3 year courses; again, I think this comes down to personal preference and won't make any difference in what you are working towards. Edinburgh Uni usually asks for slightly higher grades than many others, and it's perhaps considered 'elite' in terms of it's place in education (at least historically) but I don't believe that this sets you up to be a ''better'' nurse. If you want to work in research and submit publications, Edinburgh might give you an advantage. I have applied to Napier as they do a 2 year graduate course, which might be worth considering if you already have another degree.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to working part-time as I haven't started the course yet, but I know people who have studied nursing and have worked as bank health care assistants on zero hour contracts or had bar jobs. This probably depends on your home life/other commitments but it can be done.

Lastly, taking leave will depend on the individual university and I would advise you speak to them directly. I can't imagine leave during placements would be acceptable, unless under certain circumstances e.g. bereavement. You get summer/Christmas holidays and study leave and I imagine this is the time you'd be expected to take your holidays. In my experience, you could miss the odd lecture and it not be a problem but I think it's common courtesy to give notice (where possible) that you are not going to be there. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Hi,
I am currently a 2nd year nearly 3rd year student nurse at Southampton university. So i can not answer questions about other universities.

The difference between BN, BSc and BSc (Hons) is not much really basically the difference between BN and BSc is to do with the faculty that runs the nusing course so bsc comes from a science faculty and BN is from a nursing faculty. With hons it basically means that it is an honours degree so you come out with a honour. But regarding employment that doesnt really matter.

At my university 3 years is the standard single field courses so adult, Child and Mental Health. However i am doing a dual field course of adult and child so mine is 4 years. But i can not answer about other places.

I didn't work in my first year but in my second year i did only bank agency work, also i do a lot of work for the university for open days etc. But it is personal preference to be honest, my university doesnt matter as long as it doesn't interfere with the course.

At Southampton university we are only given 7 weeks leave in the whole year, 2 weeks at xmas, 2 weeks at easter then 3 weeks somewhere in the summer. Here they stay fixed but they dont like you going on holiday out of these times. As they say that you are on a professional course they are basically preparing for the future. Lecture making up is up to you to be honest but if you dont catch up with stuff that you have missed might have consequences for your essays and practice. Regarding missing practice you will have to make up hours as the Nursing and Midwifery council have a minimum number of hours that you have to complete on completion of the course.

Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by cape0wrath
Hi, I'm 27, a resident of Scotland, independent, fully employed, and thinking about going back to my old dream of becoming a nurse. I would appreciate any kind of a guidance from current students and those who graduated recently(-ish). While studying, I could rely only on myself when it comes to financing, so I really want to find out if I should even think about it.
I would like to know:
1) what is the practical difference between BN, BSc, Bsc(Hons) when it comes to nursing? I'm not familiar with the BN degree at all. My understanding is that Bsc(Hons) would be the "best" from all of these, but in reality, when it comes to the employment, does it change anything? I understand that you can become a Registered Nurse no matter if you're BN, BSc or Bsc(Hons).

They're all the same. They all lead to RN, which is what your first employer will be bothered about. Other than that, the degrees will all be pretty much identical as the learning outcomes are set by the NMC, not individual universities.

2) How come in one of the Scottish Unis you study for 3 years, and in other - 4 years, to obtain exactly the same degree? Does it say anything about the quality of education there? Does it matter at all for future employers?

Don't really know about Scottish qualifications, (isn't the Hons 4 years there?) but in the end like I've said, what employers are bothered about is that you are an RN, have an interest in that area of practice and come across in the interview like you can do the job. As you get further into your career it may help to have certain letters after your name, but generally, qualifications specific to set clinical areas are most valuable.

3) This one is quite important... Is it possible at all to work part-time while studying? I mean, are you able to find the time for that? And can you find a job even remotely connected with your field (any sort of caring, nurse-assisting), or do you just end up with typical customer service/retail jobs?

I worked part time in a spoons in the first year then on the nurse bank as a HCA in the second and thirs years. I found bank work beneficial to my development clinically as well as keeping my head above water financially.

4) I got so used to being able to take planned leave at work, I completely forgot how can it be organised when you study. I have heard that during the work placement you are allowed to take few weeks of leave (correct me if I'm wrong please). But what about any other time, are there any consequences if I would have to miss lectures? Yes I know that summer time is our time off, but I want to know if I could be kicked out when I miss 1 week of lectures, or can I make up for it somehow, or just catch up in my own time?

You university will give you a timetable of when in uni, on placement and on leave. You'll work further into the summer than "normal" students, and potentially over bank hols or even Xmas. Placements cover a 24 hour 7 day week, you have to experience all shifts. You could get into trouble of you took time out to go on holiday, depends on the uni, some are more relaxed than others, but in the end, you're being paid a bursary to go to university and train as a nurse, not to take time off to go on holiday.
A lot of the universities I applied to (all in Scotland) very explicitly said not to go on the course if you're planning on taking time off during term time. At Dundee, one of the lecturers said that they get you to sign into lectures because they make sure everyone attends all lectures. I've heard of people making up the time at the end of the year if they miss some placement but I've only heard of this happening because of health problems, and I'm not sure whether the university would find it acceptable in other circumstances. I guess this is something you would need to discuss with the uni.
Reply 5
Thank you all for reply, it definitely helped me a lot. I'm glad that the difference between Bsc and Bsc(Hons) will not be THAT important when it comes to employment, as it would be just easier for me to study for 3 years only. Unfortunately I have no family to support me, so what I'm trying to do now is to save as much money as I need to get through at least the first year without having to work. But obviously it would be great if I'd find the time for any part-time job.

I didn't want to come across as a lazy bum, it's not that I already plan to attend only 20% of lectures 'cause I want to party and sleep 'till noon. To be honest, the reason I have asked about leave is that I'm in a long-distance relationship, and it may happen that the only opportunity to see my boyfriend would be outside of the scheduled time. I'm talking about approx one week every year. As you've mentioned, some Unis are more strict than the others. Any idea which one in Scotland has the opinion of more relaxed?

again, don't get me wrong. I'm all for hard work, I'm just trying to find the best possible way.

Quick Reply