Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the system we have here in the UK is good / bad, fair / unfair? Which country do you think has it best? What would your ideal system be?

I recently found out that Russia have a flat rate of 13% and am now half-seriously considering moving.

ReputationRep:
    Tax goes up, yet the quality of the services at both a local and national level goes down. I don't mind paying tax, but at the moment it feels like I'm not getting what I've paid for.

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no issues at all with paying back what I've taken out in education, healthcare, social care, welfare etc growing up, and what I'll use going forward and when I'm old... Standard if living in Russia is far lower... However, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the fact that we're put at a further remove from the use of our money, and we have no means of objection to the bill.

In a lot of areas I think it would be better to privatise and for the Government to instigate a coupon system whereby it issues each citizen with a coupon for use on education, healthcare etc. That way, we increase competition and keep our public services expenditure down without trampling all over the less well-off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphful)
    However, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    Well, that was uncalled for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT06)
    Tax goes up, yet the quality of the services at both a local and national level goes down. I don't mind paying tax, but at the moment it feels like I'm not getting what I've paid for.
    My thoughts exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Taxation is morally no different to theft, in my view.

ReputationRep:
    What tax in particular? Corporation Tax, VAT, Income Tax, National Insurance, Road Tax, etc?

Some taxes are fairer than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR3YFOXXX)
    What tax in particular? Corporation Tax, VAT, Income Tax, National Insurance, Road Tax, etc?
    Income tax, sorry – should have specified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Taxation is morally no different to theft, in my view.
    You are my soulmate.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think our current tax system should be rated between average and good (6/10).

There are still far too many taxes and many in need of reform but it could be far worse, We do however spend far too much and further spending cuts should and could be made in certain areas.

Personally i have 5 ideal states that i we should learn the lessons from...

1) Norway - Massive sovereign wealth fund, large fiscal surplus and generally prudent investments

2) California - Cutting edge of research and innovation

3) New York - Finance

4) Netherlands - Massive export focus (something like 70% GDP - 3 times smaller economy yet exports more than the UK)

5) Hong Kong/Singapore - World class private provision with extremely low tax rates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    x
    Is that Benedict Cumberbatch in your picture?!

Marry me.

ReputationRep:
    Hate tax, how can you tax someone 50% of their earning when they earn over a 100k or something.

Hopefully I can get a top job in Monaco one day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Hate tax, how can you tax someone 50% of their earning when they earn over a 100k or something.

Hopefully I can get a top job in Monaco one day
    Yes, getting by on a measly £50k a year after tax is just inconceivable...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BarackObama)
    Do you think the system we have here in the UK is good / bad, fair / unfair? Which country do you think has it best? What would your ideal system be?

I recently found out that Russia have a flat rate of 13% and am now half-seriously considering moving.
    Russia's businesses are heavily taxed, so the actual salary an employee receives is around 46% lower than the base the business actually pays out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphful)
    Yes, getting by on a measly £50k a year after tax is just inconceivable...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you imagine earning £50million and then having £25mill ripped away from you???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    Russia's businesses are heavily taxed, so the actual salary an employee receives is around 46% lower than the base the business actually pays out.

Incorrect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)

Incorrect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too knowledgable in this area sadly

I like tax being used to completely fund things that should be available to everyone e.g health/education (why should people not be educated or be saved from death just because they are poor?). In terms of being fair to both the rich and the poor, I think the most appropriate option is to tax the same percentage out of everyone (what this percentage is I don't know, and am sure it will have some issues that need resolving)

The main issue i hear from people however seems to be getting what you paid for. This doesn't mean we should remove using tax to pay for the above, but it means we should put more focus on trying to get good value while making sure education/health etc is not substandard at the same time

ReputationRep:

Almost correct. My rates are a bit outdated. Most businesses pay the maximum threshold.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.