HSBC Student Account Watch

Lofty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Nice, i just got an update regarding my HSBC account being changed into a student account, lets you know about the interest free overdraft, debit crds etc etc, but also if you prove to them with a UCAS offer letter that you are going to uni, you can get either an MP4 player, and once they are gone 10 CD's from cdWOW.

I thought that was quite impressive!
L0RA
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lofty)
Nice, i just got an update regarding my HSBC account being changed into a student account, lets you know about the interest free overdraft, debit crds etc etc, but also if you prove to them with a UCAS offer letter that you are going to uni, you can get either an MP4 player, and once they are gone 10 CD's from cdWOW.

They did exactly the same offer last year and i got an MP3 player even though i was staying at college :confused:
tokay
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
That is quite impressive, makes me think about changing my mind from natwest and tehre juicy 5 year rail card.
digitalparadox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nah i'll rather go for the railcard seeing as though I already have an ipod.

Edit: Natwest are offering their railcard AND a webcam with headphones this year. See if that beats HSBC
Toby10107
Report 12 years ago
It could just be me being stupid (which is a highly conceivable posssibility), but I can't find any details of these new student deals on either HSBC's or Natwest's websites. Have they just written to people who already hold a current account with these banks or are the details on their websites somewhere?
Dragonbaby
Report 12 years ago
I can't find anything either. I wasn't going to bother with a student account, as a mature student I already have account with cards, overdraft etc so I didnt see the point. But if they are giving away freebies.....
Anyone know where I can find details of each banks offers, or do they wait until nearer september to advertise new offers?
tokay
Report 12 years ago
Just go into any branch and ask. And i too have an ipod so i it loks like Natwest. Also a student acconunt has an upper age limit.
digitalparadox
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Natwest Link: http://www.natwest.com/microsites/pe...HPBstudentsLHS

Not sure about the HSBC one yet. I'm currently with them and still haven't received anything regarding their student account.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by digitalparadox)
Natwest Link: http://www.natwest.com/microsites/pe...HPBstudentsLHS

Not sure about the HSBC one yet. I'm currently with them and still haven't received anything regarding their student account.
HSBC has perhaps the least great interest free overdraft of any of the banks and a terrible interest rate. But they have the best perks I think?

The best bank for those looks to me to be Halifax. Meaning I'll have to switch from HSBC in the summer which will be a pain, but ah well. Also Halifax have a really good web based savings account - much better than HSBC's.
Lecter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Apparently Halifax from what i researched also has a very high EAR of 28% compared to Lloyds which has a really low EAR of approximately 7.4%.
Im going to get my student account with Lloyds even though i have a natwest and barclays account. I put natwest on my SLC as Lloyds havent yet started this years promotion so the lady told em to wait till July.
xavier2k3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Freebies are the last thing you should be looking for imo. Financial matters should come first, which in that case, Halifax seems to be a clear winner. They won best Student account of last year let's not forget.

regards
--marty
Dragonbaby
Report 12 years ago
Just read through the terms and conditions for the natwest account, doesn't say anything about an upper age limit. Anyone else know anything about that?
The financial side is less important to me, I already have a current account, credit cards and savings account. The student account may be useful as they offer a higher free overdraft than my existing account, and it would be useful to have somewhere seperate to keep my grant/loan money. So I'm one of those few who will be swayed by what freebies the bank is offering, lol. But I guess that is why they offer them.
niff524
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lofty)

HI there! I applied for a student account at HSBC too. I already have an *unconditional* offer (I'm on a gap year at the moment) and I showed them my UCAS letter but they still would only open a *pre-student account* for me and told me that will only be upgraded to a proper student account (that's when I can start using my overdraft) when I actually start uni in September. I was a bit disappointed beause I was told that they'd let u have a proper student account once you've had your confirmation letter from UCAS, which I already have!:mad:

So I'm just wondering if you also have an unconditional offer or are you still in Year 13, starting uni this September?

Perhaps they do things differently in different branches......... Anyway I hope it will all work out in the end!!!:confused:
aleathiel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok am I allowed to have a current account with hsbc and a student account with natwest? I dunno what to doo well thats if Im even elligible for a student account? on a foundation year?
lisa_2k
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aleathiel)
ok am I allowed to have a current account with hsbc and a student account with natwest? I dunno what to doo well thats if Im even elligible for a student account? on a foundation year?
yes. you can only have one student account but you can have as many current accounts as you want
Hatty2309
Report 12 years ago
Hiya
im competely confused t the best rates with different banks, can anyone recommend anything to me, and i know its sad but i like the perks!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (46)
38.02%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (38)
31.4%
I don't have an opinion (37)
30.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise