Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did you lot find the exam? I did Q2 which looked the easiest at first sight but that question asking why there is inequality and poverty in those over 65 really stumped me. I ended up wasting ages trying to come up with something and writing down hardly anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefwan)
    How did you lot find the exam? I did Q2 which looked the easiest at first sight but that question asking why there is inequality and poverty in those over 65 really stumped me. I ended up wasting ages trying to come up with something and writing down hardly anything!
    ^ tell me about it! i could only come up with two reasons which sound the same really: wealth (differences in wealth can cause inequality and poverty) and income differentials (e.g. a person who had a high paying job like a surgeon has accumulated more money than someone who used to stock shelves in a shop). i then thought of writing about costs of living differing across the country but realised i had spent too much time on this question, left it and started the next one.
    but apart from that it was pretty okay. how did you find the 10 mark question on the distribution of income because of the "sad state of pensions"?

ReputationRep:
    Oops I think i completely misinterpreted the Q. I wrote some complete crap about how they may still want to work but can't get jobs because employers don't want to employ people whos lifetime productivity has almost expired. And how they cant claim JSA even though they may be willing and able to work as they are over retirement age. Thus they are less well off than younger generations. Then something about prices rising due to firms' costs rising but the elderly not having the counter-effect of increased wages, thus inequality. Umm, can't remember what i wrote for that one but i remember not being 100% about what i was supposed to talk about. At least the 20 marker was Ok!

ReputationRep:
    It could have been a lot worse I suppose...

I decided on Q2... However I felt Q1 was equally answerable however neither of them jumped out at me personably as being answerable if you catch my drift

What 3 policies did everyone do for the last question?

I did raise taxes
    Extend pension age
    Increase contributions for pension

Come to think of it I didn't really answer it very well... Only really had 1 main point which I ellaborated on which was raise taxes... Substition effect ie leisure time instead of earning blah blah blah

ReputationRep:
    The 20 marker was a real gift so I reckon anyone who did Q2 would do pretty well overall. I made the same mistake on the Q about inequality for pensioners, had to throw in a few lines about benefits not being suitable and put a little note that I ran out of time - I thought it would be better to go for full marks on the last question then bother about a few marks from that one. I feel more confident now at least about my overall grade for A2!

ReputationRep:
    for part (d) - the 20 marker, i talked about progressive taxation, national minimum wage and means-tested benefits. i think i did quite well on that one, enough evaluation. i hope!

ReputationRep:
    I did NMW, benefits (council houses etc) and EMA/University fees etc...

ReputationRep:
    i have to stop over analysing what i did...but...what did everyone write for part (a) - impact of ageing population on government spending and taxation.
    my main points were - increased spending on pensions and healthcare for older people and high taxes for the working population to finance the increased expenditure.

ReputationRep:
    Yea increased spending on pensions which could cause a fiscal deficit so gov. probably increase income tax to counter the effects. However if the government spend more on pensions, this would cause consumption and thus VAT income to rise so may not need to raise income tax by that much. I can't remember my 2nd point - something to do with taxes!

ReputationRep:
    I did qu.2 as well, seemed much easier - the 20 marker was a gift!!! And the others were ok, for the over 65 equality one i put wealth accumulation, differing wages and increased healthcare costs (private)

ReputationRep:
    I went for Q1 and was quite satisfied with it. Nice and straightforward stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vetinari)
    I went for Q1 and was quite satisfied with it. Nice and straightforward stuff.
    What was Q1.. I cant even remember!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimmyStew)
    What was Q1.. I cant even remember!
    I hardly can either! Revision destroys my medium-term memory to make space for short term bursts of revision.

The extracts were about France and Germany having limits on the number of hours workers could work each week, and a lot of the references were to the car industry.

a) 20 marks went for the effect on wage levels and employment if the 38hour cap on working hours was abolished.

b) 15 marks went for talking about whether 'monopsonistic' and 'monopolistic' power were apparent in one of the extracts.

c) 10 marks... not sure... its all a blur... :p: this may have been the above "Monopsonistic, monopolistic power" question, but either way I have forgotten one of them.

d) 15 marks went for "What would effect the level of demand for workers in the car manufacturing industry" or something to that effect.

Basically it was all pretty straight forward basic labour market interaction stuff. I despise questions on income inequality, and so this was definitely a good choice for me.

ReputationRep:
    wt do u think the grade boundaries will b on tht paper - its usually bout 35/60 for an A
    btw for the question on inequalities of those above 65 is the pensioners are not members of the working population a valid point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klstorm)
    wt do u think the grade boundaries will b on tht paper - its usually bout 35/60 for an A?
    That low? Wow... I needn't have worked so hard! :p: That means I probably only need about 40% on global paper to get an A overall! Awesome!

Can't help you on the oldies question, i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Kool! Wish I have seen this topic ealier. So it's not just me out there who got stucked up on Question 2C (3 reasons for inequality n poverty for those who are over 65, apart from pension provision). Seriously, Edexcel needs to reconsider the question itself, and I bet the 3 reasons (or more) given in the mark scheme will be controversial, or at least will have sth to do with pension provision. It's such a ludicrous question to ask, don't u see the reason why they have chosen the age >65. Well, that's definitely the retirement age. What else can it be? Thus the reasons for inequality and poverty occuring to this group of population must derive from pension provision!!!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.