The Student Room Group

i got really bad as results help is needed :((

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by booklover96
Thanks I've decided to resit the year and bump up my AS grades before moving to A2. As I believe resitting will ensure I get into the degree I want and I see it as the more sensible option (seeing as all exams are in junes and with the retakes and my actual exams I don't see myself getting good under that pressure). Thanks:smile:

That seems like a good idea :smile:. I'm dropping a subject (I only did 3) so I'm taking up a new subject and doing an extra year to complete it :biggrin:
You could just redo the year. Have a fresh start and learn from your mistakes. From the start of the year you need to be in full on studying mode constantly. That way, if you do badly at the end then you know it's because you're not cut out for AS levels rather than the fact that you haven't worked, it's nice to have a bit of clarity and certainty in that sense. That said though, it's perfectly possible to progress to A2 with those grades and still do well. I know people who've screwed up their AS exams and still pulled a set of straight As out of the bag with their A2s. If I was you, I'd just resit the D and E grade exams and progress to A2s as normal. Plenty of people really mess up their AS levels, it's a huge jump from GCSE so it's totally understandable.

Just have a think about how much work you're going to be able to put yourself through next year.

EDIT: haha sorry, just realised you've already decided to do my last option. Good luck!!! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
That seems like a good idea :smile:. I'm dropping a subject (I only did 3) so I'm taking up a new subject and doing an extra year to complete it :biggrin:

Good luck and keep me posted and I'll keep you posted too! :biggrin:
Reply 43
Thank you so much!!! I will resit the year and retake my AS subjects and work hard this year. I am glad to see that everything worked out for you. Thank you so much and good luck on your dissertation. :smile:

No problem. I know how at the time you feel the world has come crashing down, you're rubbish at everything you love and thought you were good at. I felt like a complete failure when I got my AS results.

It absolutely doesn't mean that. I'd definitely recommend you resitting a couple of your exams, work hard next year and you'll be fine. Really.

Bad AS Levels mean very little in the long run. Nobody has once asked me about mine since leaving school, they didn't stop me from getting into a great university and taking my subject to the very highest level. I have plans after my MA to do a phD in a year or so. That D at AS Level which felt like the end of the world at the time is so very far behind me 5 years on. Yours will be too. I promise :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Good luck and keep me posted and I'll keep you posted too! :biggrin:

I will do and good luck you you too :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by bad_moose
You could just redo the year. Have a fresh start and learn from your mistakes. From the start of the year you need to be in full on studying mode constantly. That way, if you do badly at the end then you know it's because you're not cut out for AS levels rather than the fact that you haven't worked, it's nice to have a bit of clarity and certainty in that sense. That said though, it's perfectly possible to progress to A2 with those grades and still do well. I know people who've screwed up their AS exams and still pulled a set of straight As out of the bag with their A2s. If I was you, I'd just resit the D and E grade exams and progress to A2s as normal. Plenty of people really mess up their AS levels, it's a huge jump from GCSE so it's totally understandable.

Just have a think about how much work you're going to be able to put yourself through next year.

EDIT: haha sorry, just realised you've already decided to do my last option. Good luck!!! :smile:

Thanks!!!:biggrin:
I was thinking of option A but thought that with retakes and exams and no january exams that me getting good in A2 would be slim and it would be way too stressful for me. I got As in my first exam and Us in the next unit so I think I did bad due to my non existent time management skills
It may be unlikely, but have you considered getting your scripts remarked to make sure you got your own results? Perhaps there were mistakes in marking too - my friend accidentally had his results switched with another person on results day last year. I hope it works out okay in the end, but as I don't think anyone has mentioned it, it may be worth confirming your marks before you consider other options.
This was a very inspiring story I read last year.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112172

Hopefully everything works out for you. Good luck for the future.
Reply 48
Original post by QI Elf
No problem. I know how at the time you feel the world has come crashing down, you're rubbish at everything you love and thought you were good at. I felt like a complete failure when I got my AS result.

It absolutely doesn't mean that. I'd definitely recommend you resitting a couple of your exams, work hard next year and you'll be fine. Really.

Bad AS Levels mean very little in the long run. Nobody has once asked me about mine since leaving school, they didn't stop me from getting into a great university and taking my subject to the very highest level. I have plans after my MA to do a phD in a year or so. That D at AS Level which felt like the end of the world at the time is so very far behind me 5 years on. Yours will be too. I promise :biggrin:

Thanks! I will resit the year and even though it means I go to uni a year later than my friends at least this way I can ensure I get good grades for AS results via resitting. Good luck with your phD and thank you so much as you have honestly made my day so much better and have given me hope that this is only a minor setback but not the end of the world. Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Reply 49
When I did my AS year I got ABCD. I was predicted AABB. I did resits and ended up with AABC. It really is worth resitting and don't beat yourself up about it. It's so different to GCSE's and no one really prepares you for the adjustment.

Resit the exams whilst doing A2 or retake the year. There is no shame in taking a step back if it is going to help you move forward in the long run :smile:
Reply 50
Hi. Don't drop out, there are plenty of options available! I also did really badly in my AS levels getting CDDD. In my second year retook units in Geography and Psychology whilst doing A2, picked up Law and completely dropped Maths and Physics. So I ended up staying a third year to complete my Law part time and today I have been accepted into Keele University! :smile:
Reply 51
hey guys. i really don't know what to do as i got really dissapointing AS results which completely shocked me. i was predicted AABB and instead got CCDE. :frown: i feel like dropping out of college honestly i dont know what to do. serious advice is wanted please. :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: the worst thing is i have always wanted to do a science based degree but got the E in chemistry. i feel like such a dumb loser and don't know if applying to unis will be worth it.

If you are going to retake the year - do remember that you will be affected by all the new changed like linear exams ! good luck though
Reply 52
Thanks! I will resit the year and even though it means I go to uni a year later than my friends at least this way I can ensure I get good grades for AS results via resitting. Good luck with your phD and thank you so much as you have honestly made my day so much better and have given me hope that this is only a minor setback but not the end of the world. Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Are you sure you want to resit the whole year? I was reading in your earlier threads that you got As in the earlier exams but Us in the later ones. Maybe just resit some of your worst exams during A Level year. That's what I did and it worked out fine.

Do you have a tutor or head of year etc you could speak to and get some advise from? If you got As earlier on, I'd be inclined to say that you just mismanaged your time, and had a bad couple of exams. You obviously are good at your subject to have done well early on.

I don't want to push you to do one thing or the other, especially as I don't much about your grade breakdown etc, but in my opinion, if you've had good marks earlier on and could just do with resitting a few modules to pull your grades up, then resitting within the year wouldn't be a bad option. Its not as much work as you think it might be, or at least I didn't find it to be.

Just talk to your teacher or someone who can advise you what would be best to do in your opinion.

I'm really glad I've made you feel a little better. I can still remember how dreadful I felt at the time and just want to show people that a couple of failed exams at the age of 16/17 does not mean you have to put a stop to your dreams.
Reply 53
Thank you so much! I have decided I am going to retake year 12 again and get good AS grades and move on to A2s as this way ensures I will get into the degree I want to do and I don't have to compromise it. I want to do biochem and with an E in chem that looks unlikely so restarting the year is the best option for me right now. Thanks and I'll keep y'all posted.

Sweet, good luck for the future :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by QI Elf
Are you sure you want to resit the whole year? I was reading in your earlier threads that you got As in the earlier exams but Us in the later ones. Maybe just resit some of your worst exams during A Level year. That's what I did and it worked out fine.

Do you have a tutor or head of year etc you could speak to and get some advise from? If you got As earlier on, I'd be inclined to say that you just mismanaged your time, and had a bad couple of exams. You obviously are good at your subject to have done well early on.

I don't want to push you to do one thing or the other, especially as I don't much about your grade breakdown etc, but in my opinion, if you've had good marks earlier on and could just do with resitting a few modules to pull your grades up, then resitting within the year wouldn't be a bad option. Its not as much work as you think it might be, or at least I didn't find it to be.

Just talk to your teacher or someone who can advise you what would be best to do in your opinion.

I'm really glad I've made you feel a little better. I can still remember how dreadful I felt at the time and just want to show people that a couple of failed exams at the age of 16/17 does not mean you have to put a stop to your dreams.

I'll speak to my head tomorrow and speak about my options with them and I'll fill you in. I am ok with retaking two of my subjects to bump it up but taking up chem again is that possible?
Reply 55
I'll speak to my head tomorrow and speak about my options with them and I'll fill you in. I am ok with retaking two of my subjects to bump it up but taking up chem again is that possible?

Sorry, I didn't realise you wanted to totally retake up Chemistry. That's something I have no experience of personally as I only ever just re-sat a few of my worst modules for each subject within the next year. I'm really not sure if that's possible or not-but I'm sure your head will be able to tell you.

Good luck.
I really am pleased to have made at least one person feel slightly better about a situation I know all too well. Its back to the dissertation for me now.. :wink:
thank you. the e in chemistry really disappointed me as most science based degrees want an A2 in chem

Trust me you will be fine, in AS I got an E also and now I have an A because I re-sat and now im off to do a degree in chemistry, I had a million exams but it paid off my AS results were BBCE and now I have AAB resits are a god send :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by davidashworth7
Trust me you will be fine, in AS I got an E also and now I have an A because I re-sat and now im off to do a degree in chemistry, I had a million exams but it paid off my AS results were BBCE and now I have AAB resits are a god send :smile:

did you resit your exams alongside doing A2 or...?
Reply 58
Original post by QI Elf
Sorry, I didn't realise you wanted to totally retake up Chemistry. That's something I have no experience of personally as I only ever just re-sat a few of my worst modules for each subject within the next year. I'm really not sure if that's possible or not-but I'm sure your head will be able to tell you.

Good luck.
I really am pleased to have made at least one person feel slightly better about a situation I know all too well. Its back to the dissertation for me now.. :wink:

Thank you! I am thinking of retaking my subjects via resits and taking up the chemistry a level again
Original post by sneha.vag
Hey!
First of all, I got a few C's in my AS levels too and now I ended up getting A*'s so there is nothing like if you don't do well in your AS, you won't do well in your A2.
You can't give up! You should consider re-taking those units to boost your A2 grades. Granted you'll need to spare an extra year but one year is a short time for the life ahead of you. You had rather re-take the modules, boost your AS results, do your A2s and get into a great university.
Best of luck :smile:

I know this isn't my thread but please help :frown:
Is what you're saying about bad AS results, to re-sit AS completely, or re-sit particular modules?
Is is possible to re-sit AS but only certain modules, not the whole thing, and then the A2s the year after?

Quick Reply

Latest