Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I need some help. I planned on applying to Cambridge for Maths during my gap year, but recent events have caused me to question that. My resutlts are:

IB: Czech HL 6, English SL 6, Economics HL 6, Physics SL 7, Maths HL 7, Further Maths SL 7. EE in Maths C, TOK B. So total is 40 points. (The standard offer is 40-41 with 776 in HL.)

STEP: S in STEP II, 2 in STEP III. (STEP is the entrance exam. The grades are S, 1, 2, 3. The standard offer is 1 in STEP II & III.)

I am happy with my results except for C in EE, which I think was unfairly graded, and 2 in STEP III, for which I was unlucky to have a bad case of eye stain which slowed me down by about 30%.

In short, I satisfy the standard Cambridge offer except for 776 in HL subjects and the 2 in STEP III. On the other hand, I have many things to make up for it - for example, I received 87% in IB Further Maths, where a 7 (from 72%) is achieved annually only by about 10 people in the world. I also have two Gold Medals in the BMO and have represented Czech Republic at the MEMO.

My question thus is, do you think I have a reasonable chance of getting accepted if I do not satisfy the standard offer in two ways? Is it possible to make up for that through other results, or, say, personality?

This is very important for me, because if I would have a very little chance of getting accepted, then I would apply to Oxford instead.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Personally, you haven't got anything to lose by applying as it's only one choice. I can't talk in regards to IB, however your STEP grades might work to your advantage as you have an S in one of them.

|The best thing that you can do is call up the college in question and see what they say.

Best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.