Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I got my AS results and I need some advice for continuing with A2.

Results: A in MIA (Full marks in exam so could probably get A* at A2), B in English Literature (Teacher neglected to tell us we didn't get the source material in the exam so I think that affected my performance), and C in Biology and Maths, 10 marks off a B in both.

I want to do English with creative writing at university eventually and I don't want to drop any of my subjects because I generally enjoy them all.

I am planning to resit maths and biology to bring it up to a B but I am on the fence about English. Should I try and bring it up to an A by resitting? The requirements for uni are ABB but it doesn't specify an A in English. Will a B in english lit be a disadvantage for me when applying to uni in 2014 or is it not worth bothering trying to resit that?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lif3isp3achy)
    Hi, so I got my AS results and I need some advice for continuing with A2.

Results: A in MIA (Full marks in exam so could probably get A* at A2), B in English Literature (Teacher neglected to tell us we didn't get the source material in the exam so I think that affected my performance), and C in Biology and Maths, 10 marks off a B in both.

I want to do English with creative writing at university eventually and I don't want to drop any of my subjects because I generally enjoy them all.

I am planning to resit maths and biology to bring it up to a B but I am on the fence about English. Should I try and bring it up to an A by resitting? The requirements for uni are ABB but it doesn't specify an A in English. Will a B in english lit be a disadvantage for me when applying to uni in 2014 or is it not worth bothering trying to resit that?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers
    How far are you from the A/B UMS boundary for English? Is there one specific module that you think you should have done better in? It would be worth speaking to your teacher(s) about potential retakes, but if you think that you could pull up one particular module result with a retake, without needing to spend too long on extra work for it, then that could well be a good idea. However, bear in mind that next year you'll also have your A2 modules, so it's not usually a good idea to retake too many modules - if you do, you may well not be able to dedicate enough time to your A2 modules - which will be more challenging that those at AS - to do well at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    How far are you from the A/B UMS boundary for English? Is there one specific module that you think you should have done better in? It would be worth speaking to your teacher(s) about potential retakes, but if you think that you could pull up one particular module result with a retake, without needing to spend too long on extra work for it, then that could well be a good idea. However, bear in mind that next year you'll also have your A2 modules, so it's not usually a good idea to retake too many modules - if you do, you may well not be able to dedicate enough time to your A2 modules - which will be more challenging that those at AS - to do well at them.
    I got a low B in my English, 19 marks off an A. Do people look at that or do they just see it as a B?
    I think I could handle the workload If I give it my all from the start because I think I know the kind of work that needs to be put in now. I got an A in C1 of my maths so I'm pretty sure it was mechanics that brought me down so I'll probably repeat that.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I got a low B in my English, 19 marks off an A. Do people look at that or do they just see it as a B?
    I think I could handle the workload If I give it my all from the start because I think I know the kind of work that needs to be put in now. I got an A in C1 of my maths so I'm pretty sure it was mechanics that brought me down so I'll probably repeat that.
    If you're confident that you can handle the additional workload and have the support of your teachers, by all means do so.

Most likely, the universities that you apply to will just be interested in your overall grades at this point, rather than the detail of UMS scores.

ReputationRep:
    One last question about UMS marks. Do most universities take them into consideration or is a low B as valuable as a high B in universities that aren't Oxford, Cambridge etcetera.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    One last question about UMS marks. Do most universities take them into consideration or is a low B as valuable as a high B in universities that aren't Oxford, Cambridge etcetera.

Thanks!
    What did you get in your coursework?

I think they evaluate your entire grade, coursework & exam. So your full UMS mark scheme rather than analyses them individually.

Last year I did rather badly in the exam and got a C, but my coursework was full marks. Over all I ended up with a B and applied to Sussex, Kent, Plymouth, Brighton and Norwich (all for English Literature) and was given all 5 offers.

Norwich wanted AAA and Sussex wanted AAB, obviously an A in English Literature. So I did worse than you in my exam and still got accepted into decent places.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    When Universities receive your results a few days before results day, they only see your grades and therefore, they have no knowledge of UMS marks. I wish you all the best next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelB6)

I think they evaluate your entire grade, coursework & exam. So your full UMS mark scheme rather than analyses them individually.

Last year I did rather badly in the exam and got a C, but my coursework was full marks. Over all I ended up with a B and applied to Sussex, Kent, Plymouth, Brighton and Norwich (all for English Literature) and was given all 5 offers.

Norwich wanted AAA and Sussex wanted AAB, obviously an A in English Literature. So I did worse than you in my exam and still got accepted into decent places.

Good luck!
    (Original post by MichaelB6)

Good luck!
    (Original post by Danny150)
    When Universities receive your results a few days before results day, they only see your grades and therefore, they have no knowledge of UMS marks. I wish you all the best next year!
    I think I got a B in my coursework, I thought I would get an A as that was predicted by my teachers, I guess the exam board didn't agree! Thanks for your help guys, I am going to work extra hard this year to improve my grades and get into the course I want

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.