Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The question asks for me to find the mean per month of cars bought over a duration of 10 months. I get a decimal answer but since we are dealing with a discrete set of data, do I round up?

Also, when I calculate the median, do I also round up if I get a decimal number after calculating a discrete set?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I know it's weird, but you don't need to return a whole number of cars when reporting a mean.
    (In fact, in instances such as logistic regression, where you have a sequence of 0's and 1's, just reporting either 0 or 1 would stump the whole process).

The median will always be either an integer or an integer + 1/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    I know it's weird, but you don't need to return a whole number of cars when reporting a mean.
    (In fact, in instances such as logistic regression, where you have a sequence of 0's and 1's, just reporting either 0 or 1 would stump the whole process).

The median will always be either an integer or an integer + 1/2.
    Thanks for the response! But we'll be using a continuous variable for the mean though...

Looking back at my notes, I agree with your response on the median.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainchalk)
    The question asks for me to find the mean per month of cars bought over a duration of 10 months. I get a decimal answer but since we are dealing with a discrete set of data, do I round up?

Also, when I calculate the median, do I also round up if I get a decimal number after calculating a discrete set?

Many thanks!
    If, over a number of time periods, the mean was 3.41, 3.25, 3.08, 2.94, 2.73, 2.60 and it was your job to report it, would you be happy telling your boss that the mean has been 3 for the last 6 periods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    If, over a number of time periods, the mean was 3.41, 3.25, 3.08, 2.94, 2.73, 2.60 and it was your job to report it, would you be happy telling your boss that the mean has been 3 for the last 6 periods?
    I don't understand how your argument is relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response! But we'll be using a continuous variable for the mean though...
    Yep.

Have you done any stats?
    If not, ignore this spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Bernoulli random variables take the values 0 or 1, and nothing else. The mean of the Bernoulli distribution is p though, which could be 0.5 or 0.3 or whatever.
    Similarly, the mean of the binomial distribution, np could be say 24.4, but realisations of the binomial random variable will always be integers. If you said that the mean of the random variable were 24, then you would be describing a different distribution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Yep.

Have you done any stats?
    If not, ignore this spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Bernoulli random variables take the values 0 or 1, and nothing else. The mean of the Bernoulli distribution is p though, which could be 0.5 or 0.3 or whatever.
    Similarly, the mean of the binomial distribution, np could be say 24.4, but realisations of the binomial random variable will always be integers. If you said that the mean of the random variable were 24, then you would be describing a different distribution.
    Ohhh! Thank you!

And yes, I have read up on Bernoulli before.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how your argument is relevant.
    It's not an argument, it's an example. Rounding to a whole number could conceal a trend. It is relevant to your original question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.