The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I could understand you being slightly annoyed (maybe), but I think you're overreacting a LOT.
Reply 21
Original post by Strawberrycayk
Oh yes she did say she was feeling better later, I was reading this bit: 'I keep telling people I feel very ill but no one listens.' :colondollar:

I know but it's unethical for a reason :/ like I said it may have worked this time but it might not the next and his methods could potentially harm a patient and land him in a lot more trouble.

If she doesn't complain then it won't get sorted out and he will continue handing out placebos. I get that he might have put his instinct first and did what he thought was best but he was wrong as a professional, we should be able to trust our doctors completely and know what they're putting into our bodies.

Maybe, yeah. Although, he may have seen it before too and knew exactly what to do? See that's the problem with the OP, she gives us a bias side of a story and just assumes he accept it as truth, while the Doctor may have been doing the right thing due to his experiences all along, yano? :smile:
Original post by Gjaykay
Maybe, yeah. Although, he may have seen it before too and knew exactly what to do? See that's the problem with the OP, she gives us a bias side of a story and just assumes he accept it as truth, while the Doctor may have been doing the right thing due to his experiences all along, yano? :smile:

Well as an unhappy patient she should go ahead and file a complaint, then it's up to the hospital to decide whether what he did was right or wrong and for them to decide what to do about him. You never know, they might think he was right too and keep him on without a problem.
Original post by Strawberrycayk
Oh yes she did say she was feeling better later, I was reading this bit: 'I keep telling people I feel very ill but no one listens.' :colondollar:

I know but it's unethical for a reason :/ like I said it may have worked this time but it might not the next and his methods could potentially harm a patient and land him in a lot more trouble.

If she doesn't complain then it won't get sorted out and he will continue handing out placebos. I get that he might have put his instinct first and did what he thought was best but he was wrong as a professional, we should be able to trust our doctors completely and know what they're putting into our bodies.

This is why I have a massive problem with it. Okay on me it was harmless but who's to say what else he does? If I go to a doctor, I want to be able to trust them. How can I trust someone who treats me as some sort of drama queen? And who LIES about it?

Also it's dangerous. Leading someone to believe they have taken something can lead to dangerous contraindications. So I'm not just being a little bitch about it as that guy seems to think.
Original post by Gjaykay

It's not really a biased side, I'm stating what happened. And pretty sure lying to people about drugs, administering placebos and breaching confidentiality and disability discrimination isn't ever the proper thing
Reply 25
Have you considered the possibility that you were affected by side effects of the citalopram?
Can it cause the symptoms you had? Even if it hasn't caused those symptoms before, that doesn't rule it out as a cause , does it?
Reply 26
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It's not really a biased side, I'm stating what happened. And pretty sure lying to people about drugs, administering placebos and breaching confidentiality and disability discrimination isn't ever the proper thing

*sighs* Sometimes I don't know why I bother tbh.

You're stating your version of what happened, ask two people for the same version of an event that just happened in front of both of them and you'll get two different stories. That's real.

Also, administering placebos (and therefore lying about it) is used to root out people that have drug-seeking behavior, are at risk for endangering themselves or another if they don't get medication for they think is wrong with them or if there is nothing wrong with the patient, but it would ease their mind/make them feel better. You're clearly the last one, you had a panic attack, got over it and the doctor made you feel better.

I can't say why he told your mother, because that was silly of him - no doctor should ever breach confidentiality, which is what I agreed with you ages ago. Once again, he didn't discriminate against you. I don't understand why you can't see that.

Just file your complaint, a tenner says the Doctor did what I've said, rather than the fact he's just a scumbag to those with Bi-Polar :smile:.
Original post by Doubledog
Have you considered the possibility that you were affected by side effects of the citalopram?
Can it cause the symptoms you had? Even if it hasn't caused those symptoms before, that doesn't rule it out as a cause , does it?

Yeah apparently it can do that, and I have low blood pressure anyway, so I think it caused the dizziness which made me panic and it went from there.

Saying "I was discriminated against for having bipolar" is not simply "stating what happened", it is your interpretation of what happened.
Original post by Gjaykay
*sighs* Sometimes I don't know why I bother tbh.

You're stating your version of what happened, ask two people for the same version of an event that just happened in front of both of them and you'll get two different stories. That's real.

Also, administering placebos (and therefore lying about it) is used to root out people that have drug-seeking behavior, are at risk for endangering themselves or another if they don't get medication for they think is wrong with them or if there is nothing wrong with the patient, but it would ease their mind/make them feel better. You're clearly the last one, you had a panic attack, got over it and the doctor made you feel better.

I can't say why he told your mother, because that was silly of him - no doctor should ever breach confidentiality, which is what I agreed with you ages ago. Once again, he didn't discriminate against you. I don't understand why you can't see that.

Just file your complaint, a tenner says the Doctor did what I've said, rather than the fact he's just a scumbag to those with Bi-Polar :smile:.

Yes but you made it sound like I was intentionally skweing it. Sorry if that's not what you meant.

Administering placebos is not allowed unless the person is not competant or a danger. I am neither.

Because why else would he do this? I can't see why a person would treat me like this? I've spoken to several people about this who agree
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Saying "I was discriminated against for having bipolar" is not simply "stating what happened", it is your interpretation of what happened.

It's the conclusion I've come to as I cannot see why else he treated me badly
Reply 31
Yes but you made it sound like I was intentionally skweing it. Sorry if that's not what you meant.

Administering placebos is not allowed unless the person is not competant or a danger. I am neither.

Because why else would he do this? I can't see why a person would treat me like this? I've spoken to several people about this who agree

Maybe he thought because you had bi-polar you weren't competent?
Maybe it's just a misunderstanding.
It's the conclusion I've come to as I cannot see why else he treated me badly

Yeah I understand that, but it still goes beyond simply stating what happened.
the doctor might also give placebos to other non bi polar people who have panic attacks.
Original post by Gjaykay
Maybe he thought because you had bi-polar you weren't competent?
Maybe it's just a misunderstanding.

which is discrimination
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah I understand that, but it still goes beyond simply stating what happened.

I guess you're right! I meant my actual story though. But yeah my title is my own conclusion!
Reply 36
which is discrimination

Nah it's profiling. He, being a doctor, and has experiences in being a doctor, he probably thought it was the right thing to do. Stop crying about it.
Original post by Gjaykay
Nah it's profiling. He, being a doctor, and has experiences in being a doctor, he probably thought it was the right thing to do. Stop crying about it.

No it isn't. Treating someone differently because of their disability is discrimination.

Read the top one
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/discrimination

I was prejudged and treated in an unfair

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
No it isn't. Treating someone differently because of their disability is discrimination.

Read the top one
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/discrimination

I was prejudged and treated in an unfair

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh as suggested carry out the complaint but please stop moaning about this since you are coming across as someone very ignorant on medical practice. Yes everyone agreed telling your mum was a bit stupid and you should look into that but Gjaykay is right, you werent discriminated against. A doctor knows what he doing and he wasnt stupid here because he treated you and made you better.
Reply 39
I've put a complaint in to the GMC.

So what happened was I was on a train with my mum, and all of a sudden, I couldn't breathe. My hands went tingly and I felt like I was going to die. I just couldn't breathe at all It was horrible I assumed I was having an asthma attack, my inhaler didn't work and so I went to A&E. Usually, they give me a neb. Anyway, got there, saw a doctor. They did my sats, and mine were LOW. 90%. If anyone goes under 96, they're supposed to be given oxygen. Anyway, the doctor listened to my chest, and then asked me what other medication I was taking. I said citalopram. They started exchanging weird looks.

Then he comes back and says he'll give me a salbutamol neb. I'm there for about an hour with this neb, but it doesn't feel right. It keeps making my nose run and my hands aren't shaking, which they normally do. I keep telling people I feel very ill but no one listens.

Then when the neb is finished, I feel better and so he says I can go. But before I leave, he calls my mum. WITHOUT me.

She then tells me that he said "I didn't give her a salbutamol neb. It's just saline. I couldn't hear anything on her chest I don't believe her. What exactly is going on?" My mum was really shocked, and he then said "I don't know what you're going to tell her" She said "I'm going to tell her what you've said" and he said "Well you could tell her I was asking about meds" What the ****, you've just breached confidentiality, consent and from what I can see, disability disrimination.

What other reason would he have for talking to my mum and not me and treating me like some sort of numpty? I'm 19, so not underage, he had no reason to do that. Both me and my mum assume it as because I have bipolar, and he just assumed I was some sort of melodramatic idiot.

So my problem with this is

1) WHY not just tell me you can't hear anything? I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack and not an asthma attack, but HE'S the doctor and should have found out

2) WHY lie about giving me a neb? Why not just say "It doesn't sound like an asthma attack, I'll try you with some saline"

3) WHY talk to my mum and not me

I'm so pissed off about this. Also I'm annoyed with the way a panic attack was treated. They're horrible and not something to be humiliated.

How old are you?

Latest