Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well my torment is complete.

I was looking to study Software Engineering/Computer Science this year.

I have the grades equivalent to ABB and so would have had some pretty good options in clearing this year. BUT, because I have had previous funding I can't go to an English University because i'd have to pay the fees myself which for me is impossible.

I could have had the options of Southampton, York, Sheffield, Lancaster, Loughborough, Newcastle, Birmingham and Durham. But instead I'm going to Dundee.

I know I should be grateful for this second chance at University and I am. I've won a scholarship that will pay my tuition fees for me this year and as long as I keep my grades up I should keep this for the remainder of my degree. The course at Dundee seems pretty good and it's got a decent reputation but I can't stop thinking about what could have been.

Anyone else have their own woe is me story?
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    I'd hardly say your situation is dire. You have a confirmed place at a university to do the course you want with a scholarship...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a decent consolation situation fella. You've got a scholarship at a decent uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyalimers)
    I'd hardly say your situation is dire. You have a confirmed place at a university to do the course you want with a scholarship...
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Sounds like a decent consolation situation fella. You've got a scholarship at a decent uni!
    Yeah, I know. I sound like an ungrateful s***. I was really happy until I saw all the options I could have had in clearing this morning.

Just can't seem to stop thinking about it. Will snap out of it soon I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    You could always look at doing a course part time, which can be done over 4 1/2 years. It isn't a million miles of 3 years (full time) however the average TOTAL cost of a part time degree is around £9,500. It's a lot cheaper than a full time total of £27,000 (average).

I know that the University of Central Lancashire (www.uclan.ac.uk) offer Software Engineering/Computer Science courses, therefore part time, you're looking at a lot less cheaper.

Also, if you insisted on doing full time, look at studying year 2 of your 3 year degree for example, at a partner university of the institution you are based/studying with. On average, a study abroad period of 12 months costs between £1,500 - £2,000 for that year (a lot less cheaper than the normal £9,000 per year of study within the UK).

I hope this helps you and hey, well done on your grades. I think an equivalency of AAB is awesome! )

ReputationRep:
    I had something similar three years ago. Missed the grades for Nottingham Uni but got into Reading. Asked them to release me as my circumstances have changed. instead of archaeology, I ended up with media studies. it's great but sometimes I think of what could have been.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    I had something similar three years ago. Missed the grades for Nottingham Uni but got into Reading. Asked them to release me as my circumstances have changed. instead of archaeology, I ended up with media studies. it's great but sometimes I think of what could have been.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I understand. How do you pick yourself up when you start thinking about what could have been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanker)
    You could always look at doing a course part time, which can be done over 4 1/2 years. It isn't a million miles of 3 years (full time) however the average TOTAL cost of a part time degree is around £9,500. It's a lot cheaper than a full time total of £27,000 (average).

I know that the University of Central Lancashire (www.uclan.ac.uk) offer Software Engineering/Computer Science courses, therefore part time, you're looking at a lot less cheaper.

Also, if you insisted on doing full time, look at studying year 2 of your 3 year degree for example, at a partner university of the institution you are based/studying with. On average, a study abroad period of 12 months costs between £1,500 - £2,000 for that year (a lot less cheaper than the normal £9,000 per year of study within the UK).

I hope this helps you and hey, well done on your grades. I think an equivalency of AAB is awesome! )
    Thanks man. Yeah I thought about going down the part-time route but decided against it in the end. The Uni I'm going to has some great entrepreneurial extra-curricular options and I'm looking to start my own business at uni so all the funding available to student entrepreneurs wouldn't be available to me if I went down the part-time route.

I thought really hard about going to study in Germany actually. The fees are really cheap and a lot of their courses are taught in English, but due to family commitments this wasn't really possible in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punani)
    Yeah, I understand. How do you pick yourself up when you start thinking about what could have been?
    I think that my life could be worse. I could have struggled with the course or might have hated the uni but instead I learned to love media and I'm in a good university. Mostly I try not to look back, just forwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hardly think this is the biggest woe you could be having today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    I think that my life could be worse. I could have struggled with the course or might have hated the uni but instead I learned to love media and I'm in a good university. Mostly I try not to look back, just forwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great. Living without a rear-view mirror is definitely the way to go. I'm sure I'll be fine once I start in September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I hardly think this is the biggest woe you could be having today...
    Fair point. Maybe disappointment rather than woe would be a better way to describe it. Can't help feeling a little down though.

ReputationRep:
    Golden rule - follow the heart !

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.