The Student Room Group

Feeling sick, what can I do with these grades?

A levels (A2): A*AAA (Maths, FM, Chem and Phys respectively)
GCSE: A*A*A*A*AABBBB
I wanted to do chemical engineering at Imperial but that seems out of the question now, where can I apply and have a chance at getting in?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thekingsmen
I wanted to do chemical engineering at Imperial but that seems out of the question now, where can I apply and have a chance at getting in?

Thanks

There are Chemical Engineering (or related) courses available at Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Surrey in Clearing.

You could take a year out and reapply in order to have more choice of unis. There are plenty of things you could do with a gap year - there are often engineering internship type programs for students, such as the Year In Industry program.
Reply 2

Thanks

Are you still interested in engineering courses?
Just checked Imperial for 2014 and the standard offer is A*AAA or A*A*A, unless I'm mistaken you're not off the mark?

Thanks

That shouldn't be out of the question, Imperial asks for A*AAA for Chem. Eng., with A* in a maths and A or A* at Chemistry - which you've met... If you've missed an offer from them for that course, well then at those grades any Chem. Eng. Clearing places would be available at those grades: all the currently available ones are listed here: http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/chemical-engineering-degree-courses-united-kingdom/chemical+engineering/m/united+kingdom/united+kingdom/25/0/0/0/r/0/1/0/uc/0/0/clcourse.html
Reply 5
Original post by Zottula
Are you still interested in engineering courses?

Yeah, but I wanted to go to a top ten uni, but that doesn't seem likely now.

Thanks

I don't understand how those grades aren't acceptable. My friend did worse and is doing finance (I think) at Oxford.
Reply 7
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
That shouldn't be out of the question, Imperial asks for A*AAA for Chem. Eng., with A* in a maths and A or A* at Chemistry - which you've met... If you've missed an offer from them for that course, well then at those grades any Chem. Eng. Clearing places would be available at those grades: all the currently available ones are listed here: http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/chemical-engineering-degree-courses-united-kingdom/chemical+engineering/m/united+kingdom/united+kingdom/25/0/0/0/r/0/1/0/uc/0/0/clcourse.html

I hadn't applied, was taking a gap year anyway, but I don't know anymore, pretty gutted.
Reply 8

A*AAA is a great set of grades.

Imperial ask for A*AAA for Chemical Engineering. So it's still a possible option.
Reply 9

Arguably this doesn't apply to Chem Eng.

From what I've heard, people have a good deal of respect for courses elsewhere such as at Birmingham where you have the year in industry option as well.
Reply 10
Original post by Kyalimers
Arguably this doesn't apply to Chem Eng.

From what I've heard, people have a good deal of respect for courses elsewhere such as at Birmingham where you have the year in industry option as well.

I have great interest in Birmingham as well but I doubt I can even get it there let alone Imperial.
I hadn't applied, was taking a gap year anyway, but I don't know anymore, pretty gutted.

Well in that case Imperial is still a realistic option, you've met their entry requirements. I would say though: consider more the reputation of the Chem. Eng. department more than that of the overall university when it comes to picking.
I have great interest in Birmingham as well but I doubt I can even get it there let alone Imperial.

I would pretty much guarantee that with those grades and a decent PS, you would have a good shot.
Reply 13
Original post by Kyalimers
I would pretty much guarantee that with those grades and a decent PS, you would have a good shot.

Sorry to be a pest, I really do appreciate all the advice I'm getting from everyone! Do you think it would be worth applying to Imperial?
Sorry to be a pest, I really do appreciate all the advice I'm getting from everyone! Do you think it would be worth applying to Imperial?

Absolutely. Imperial, to my knowledge, interview candidates as well so you would be a on a level playing field with everyone (if you were genuinely concerned about your grades). I'd say you have a great shot at both Imperial and Birmingham.
Reply 15

Yes, based on what the posters before have said. You need to try and stop panicking and think objectively. You meet the academic criteria so now it's up to you to write a good application and perform well at interview. Good luck!
There are people on here with genuine concerns who might miss a place at uni and you're soaking up the attention with a set of grades anyone less stuck up would be ecstatic about.
Reply 17
I would NEVER consider Birmingham with A*AAA, Oxbridge / Imperial all the way.

Anyone who says Bham is a viable alternative must have their objectivity questioned (ie. alumni or current student of)
Reply 18
Original post by Ciaranoreilly
There are people on here with genuine concerns who might miss a place at uni and you're soaking up the attention with a set of grades anyone less stuck up would be ecstatic about.

"Genuine concerns", different people different problems, "good" is subjective - I personally feel that I did badly, I didn't mean to offend anyone and if I did I am sorry, but it's not fair for you to say that my problem isn't "genuine".
Reply 19
That's a bit mean Ciara. Everyone's concerns are real to them. When you are worried about something it's hard to be objective and you need to discuss it to get things clear in your head. The fact that some people have worse grades and have their own worries is irrelevant to OP's worries. They can post for help and advice too.

Quick Reply