Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Had an AAB offer from Nottingham for Politics

ive got 2A*A so i dunno what to do, thats like oxford/lse level of grades

any advice? I love Nottingham campus, nightlife and the uni but idk whether to take a year out and try apply to LSE/Oxford/Cambridge. I dont know if id make it and dont really wanna take a year out of boredom, but would probably regret not trying for the rest of my life!

The amount of career opportunities it would presents is crazy, but i also hear they're lacking in nightlife and uni experience aha

Impossible decision!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)

any advice?
    If you aren't interested in going to Nottingham anymore, you could consider Adjustment as you have exceeded your offer. You'd be able to hold on to your firm place while looking for another course. The problem with this is that you have less time to research the university and course and there may be with problems with finding accommodation.

Alternatively, take a gap year and reapply. This has the advantage of giving you more time to do your research and you have more options available to you.

Or you could just stick with Nottingham. You chose it for a reason in the first place and it's a great university.

Congratulations on your results.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it. Nottingham is a great uni and you're unlikely to get a place at a 'better' uni through Adjustment.

Alternatively you could take a gap year and reapply. Would give you an opportunity to have a good go at researching your options.

Congrats though, super results.

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to pop in and say congratulations

ReputationRep:
    Look at universities through Adjustment or reapply next year, but Nottingham University is still very good.

OH and congratulations :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Take a gap year and apply to a better university. By far the superior option. This way you'll have a year of extra experience AND the better grades. Win/Win.

ReputationRep:
    I'd stick with Nottingham. It's a very good university and there's no guarantee you'd get in anywhere better next year if you reapplied.

I very much doubt that adjustment would be of any use to you - you're already holding a great offer. Universities better than Nottingham would be unlikely to have many spare places.

ReputationRep:

any advice?
    Congratulations
    Nottingham is an excellent university

If you really want to look Oxbridge then you will need a gap year and then there is no guarantee even with the grades

Is the risk worth it

ReputationRep:
    This is very tough decision, UCAS being down doesnt help...

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations dude

ReputationRep:
    I had an offer for AAB for Leeds and got A*AA and A* in gen stud, I cancelled for other reasons, reapplied this year but still did not get into Oxford, however I did get into UCL, Durham and Bristol so it's worked out much better for me. I'd say if there are a few unis you're more interested in than Nottingham then reapply next year, but if you're just thinking you could go to Oxbridge it probably isn't a good idea. Nottingham's a great uni!

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the course. Nottingham is a fantastic university, UK top 10 and it's politics courses is one of the best in the country. You could take a year out, but you may not necessarily get a place at somewhere better next year, as Oxbridge will only care about your interview and less about your grades.

(Original post by Zottula)
    If you aren't interested in going to Nottingham anymore, you could consider Adjustment as you have exceeded your offer. You'd be able to hold on to your firm place while looking for another course. The problem with this is that you have less time to research the university and course and there may be with problems with finding accommodation.

Alternatively, take a gap year and reapply. This has the advantage of giving you more time to do your research and you have more options available to you.

ReputationRep:
    Ditch Notts, take a gap year - reapply for the top.

ReputationRep:
    problem is i got expelled from school, so i cant get a reference if i reapply or any training for interviews

man this is so difficult! Also do LSE/Oxbridge etc take GCSE's highely into account? didnt do that good in them, mostly A's but still

ReputationRep:
    i am not sure you would necc get into Oxford. From the people I know who took a gap year, with high As they didn;t get in. some say having the gap year really through them off in terms of subject specific questions at interview. you could look at other great places such as UCL, but then it's a question of whether the course is better that the one at Nottingham. Where do you *want* to go? Forget the rankings and have a think about that. which course looks most apealing to you personally.

ReputationRep:
    I agree those grades are fantastic and you could get into a much better university if you took a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Forget the reference.

On your gap year join a private college.

PM me

But you seem quote desperate so join Notts, though with those grades I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

You notice all those people with smarmy statement s like " well done , excellent choice etc ".

Sure it sounds good and it comforts you but most of them will be connected to Notts. You'll regret it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRT92)
    I'd take the course. Nottingham is a fantastic university, UK top 10 and it's politics courses is one of the best in the country. You could take a year out, but you may not necessarily get a place at somewhere better next year, as Oxbridge will only care about your interview and less about your grades.
    Rubbish. Not even top 20

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

ReputationRep:
    problem is i got expelled from school, so i cant get a reference if i reapply or any training for interviews

man this is so difficult! Also do LSE/Oxbridge etc take GCSE's highely into account? didnt do that good in them, mostly A's but still
    Go with Nottingham.

People make a lot of fuss about applying to as high a ranked uni as possible but when you graduate the truth is most employers just look at degree class not where its from. Especially having been expelled and with no references you're going to have a hard time going for oxford (not to mention Oxbridge is no guarantee on grades as you need to pass the interview as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trix465)
    Go with Nottingham.

People make a lot of fuss about applying to as high a ranked uni as possible but when you graduate the truth is most employers just look at degree class not where its from. Especially having been expelled and with no references you're going to have a hard time going for oxford (not to mention Oxbridge is no guarantee on grades as you need to pass the interview as well).
    if that's the case then he would be just as well off at ANY university.

Me thinks that is bogus and maybe you have an agenda.

he can just keep his expulsion mum and all will be well.

Are you jealous of his grades and trying to pull him down to your level ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.